Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for confirmation on what I'm afraid is bad news:

When I was putting in the rear main seal on my EJ22T project, the crank would move in/out-forward/aft a good 1/8".

Rumor is this means the bearings/rings need replaced, which of course requires splitting the engine open...... Not currently in my bag of mechanical skills. The engine has roughly 160K on it, so maybe it's due anyway.

I was told the engine may run this way for awhile (or Not), but could cause further damage to the block rendering it junk.

Comments welcomed before I put anymore time into this.

Thanks

Td

I wonder what could have caused that?

I bought the short block w/a bunch of other turbo parts, incl. heads and intake, from a guy locally....and they were all used when he got them, too. So hard to say.

But I (am) was too much of a noob to check for these issues when I bought it. :rolleyes:

Edited by wtdash

It really wouldn't be a horribly expensive repair if you can find somebody familiar with subaru engines in your area who doesn't charge a lot. Pull the engine and take them the shortblock. You can get new bearings for about $100 and a used EJ22 crank is cheap if you need it. You don't need an EJ22T crank, they are all the same.