Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Have read many of the posts in this forum over the years and it's always proven useful and informative....helped me out quite a few times figuring out the issues...

This last issue surfaced as I was changing the plug and wires earlier today - thanks to the posts I knew what to take apart to get to the plugs and was done much quicker than anticipated.

When removing the wire boots on plugs # 1 & 4, both were coated in engine oil - and so was the external part of the plugs, not sure if there was oil inside the boots before I pulled them out or if the plugs were just coated as a result of removing the boots.

Not sure if this is indicative of any issue to watch for or fix as my searches did not yield similar problems...

After taking care of a few codes (O2 sensor, misfiring in #4) by replacing sensor and a new set of wires and plugs (OEM and NGK as recommended here), engine is running smooth and no other signs of issues (no oil dripping from car, not visible signs of burning oil)

2001 Legacy L Wagon

Manual

Patrick

There are Orings that go around the spark plug tubes that you replace when you do the valve cover gaskets.

Usually these Orings leak ling before the VC gaskets. But they are all replaced at the same time since VC removal is necessary.

Depending on what I'm doing I don't worry about it.

I just add that to the list of what to do next time major maintenance is taking place(like the clutch, baffle plate, HG, etc.)

This oil won't smell, it doesn't even seem to do much to the plug wire boots.

Don't get me wrong it's not a good thing, but often it isn't even noticed. A minor out of the way annoyance rarely corrected as a standalone issue.

All in my opinion or course.

Agree. My driver's side plug rings are leaking too (2001 Forester 93k miles). And they have been for over 2 yrs. I will replace the VC gasket and plug rings at some point. But the oil does NOT cause me any driveability problems.

If in the future you develop a miss or throw a misfire code, this will need to be addressed. You can let it go till then.

The oil damages the insulation in the spark plug wires and may cause a miss on damp mornings.

You would need to get the spark plug bucket gromits from Subaru, as aftermarket is not up to spec.

BTW change your PCV valve, it may help reduce what little leakage there is.

nipper

I would replace the valve cover gaskets and the tube gaskets right away. As noted above, when the oil drips on the ignition wires, it soaks into the rubber which destroys their insulation value. This happened on my 02, and when I was going down the expressway at 60 mph, all of a sudden I would lose power and could barely keep the engine running. NOT very safe.

If you don't fix the tube gaskets soon, your new ignition wires will be junk.