Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbocharged Justy

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the engine pulled, I am ready to get into it. Its kind of scary for me because the last motor that I built was a small block chevy. I have never screwed with an EFI system. Certainly never mussed with a odd cylinder engine with a counterbalance shaft.

I have a line on a MX6 IC and I may be able to get some injectors out of a 323GTX. My friend Grinner collects those tempremental beasties. I'm still stuck on a rhb-32 for a turbo unless someone can talk me out of it.

I don't think I'll drop any money into a cam for the motor. I will probably end up spending some money on custom pistons. That way I can order some custom ring lands. Problem is that they sell in 4s and 6s, not 3s.

I'm an engineer, so I am going to do the research and calculations. I spent the money on the education and I will use it the way I see fit.:D

How do you go about balancing an engine with a balance shaft? Or do I specify that the new pistons weigh the same as the stock units?

Matthew

As soon as I find another daily driver & sell my lifted sube, my Justy will hit the garage and I can start trying my hand at rallycross. I'm trying to decide what to do enginewise...

It seems that according to the adjusted engine displacement, a turbo'd 4x4 justy would end up in the production GT class. I wonder if it would be better to just build up the engine just to stay in the production class. Any thoughts here?

-- Jeff

It seems that according to the adjusted engine displacement, a turbo'd 4x4 justy would end up in the production GT class. I wonder if it would be better to just build up the engine just to stay in the production class. Any thoughts here?

The problem with Production GT is that Subaru never produced a turbo justy. I would talk to your local SCCA board about letting you run in GT, but you may get lumped into open. I have spent a long time on this...and I still want to run a Justy. Even though a Justy won't get any contingency funds.

Matthew

I heard of an official Justy STI, and somewhere I thought I read that they had turbojustys in japan... Anybody know?

Also, what are the rules as far as boring the cylinders making a little more displacement? That and the typical port & polish. Speaking of P&P, does anybody with more experience have an idea of how much it might add to the HP?

-- Jeff

Rally cross is made for having fun. I had a blast in the justy EVO 1. The turbo was great, but the ECVT robbed it of any real power. Still, I had a great time, and the car was a hit. I didn't win a single fasted time in it against the open guys I was competing with. But I had a much bigger smile. AND, with a five speed I think that the turbo charged 3 cylinder would have won open easily! Why? because if I had the 5 speed, I would have had better power control. With better power control I know that I would have an advantage in maintaining and carrying speed, and getting through the course. With tight rallycross style courses, the key is maintaining momentum, and quick acceleration out of curves into any straights. I hope that my current justy EVO 3 will prove me out, even though it isn't a 3 cylinder any more.

That leads me to my last point. Unless things have changed, and I haven't heard, no contingency money is paid for rallycrosses, so why let that stop you from having fun in an insane car?

Troy

Hey guys,

I was just skimming around the net looking for aftermarket parts for the Subaru Justy (yeah right, :lol: ). I came across an exhaust system for it. Has anyone purchased this?

Subaru Justy Exhaust

exhaust-system.jpg

Perhaps it'll open up the exhaust a bit for a turbocharged Justy eh?!? :D Then again, perhaps this is the stock part. I dunno! :(

Originally posted by hatch4x4

Also, what are the rules as far as boring the cylinders making a little more displacement? That and the typical port & polish. Speaking of P&P, does anybody with more experience have an idea ofhow much it might add to the HP?

-- Jeff

<dissertation>

Turbocharging is about manipulating pressure differential to acheive a desired cfm of flow.... cfm is directly related to horsepower. You will find no real world gains in porting and polishing your head unless your head is a restriction, which usually isn't the case in a streetcar. Unless the pressure differential you have to run to hit your desired power level runs you off your compressor's efficiency map, there is no point in porting and polishing a head in a forced induction application.

Let's see if I can give you an example. My Holset is capable of 60 lb/hrs of air, which is about 600 hp. It is a modern turbo, equivalent to the Garret GT series turbos, which approach 80% efficiency and are capable of 3:1 or higher pressure differentials (that means 3 times atmospheric pressure:atmospheric pressure, which means 30+ psig). This turbo on my CRX will net me around 240 whp at 10 psi. If I ported and polished my head, and for the sake of argument ran some oversized valves, I would hit 240 whp at 7 psi and be around 280 whp at 10 psi.

Most people tout this as some sort of accomplishment, or a worthwhile spend of money. The compressor still cannot make more than 600 hp, and if it makes 600 hp on the stock head at 27 psi versus 22 psi on the ported head, what of it?

Anyway, to make a short story real long, I suggest you buy both Maximum Boost by Corky Bell as a turbo primer, and then Turbochargers by Hugh MacInnes for a little more in depth theory. Learn to plot your engine onto a compressor map, plot a couple of different engines to get a feel for it, and you'll start to understand exactly what I am saying.

</dissertation>

And, RallyJusty, I'm not sure a 5 spd transmission would give you better control of your power. I had it pointed out to me by Jim... 3rd gear is 1:1 gear ratio and 4th and 5th are both overdrive gears. THAT is why the Justy felt stupid slow out of the hole, but started rolling pretty nicely once we got up to speed. Upgrade the substandard oil pump in the car, install the Megasuirt so we have real control over the tune, and run about 12 psi off the RHB5, actually connect the 4WD for launches, and things should be much better.

My problem with the turbo'd Justy was the ECVT. It couldn't lock up tight enough to put the power to the ground. It would spin the bands on the pulleys, making an awful sound.That is to say from a neutral dump at launch, other wise I looked like a granny leaving the line. Once the tranny caught up however it was a riot. Just mash to go pedal and left foot brake the whole course!

I actually would rather have an ECVT if I could make it work better. Staying right in the power band without shifting is perfect in a tight course. It's been a concept that racers have wanted for years, but the CVT is inherently weak. Audi has recently put one out that can handle the power, as well as several other big car makers, but that's more money than any Justy deserves. The electromagnet torque converter is another problem, it over heats under stress. The concept again is top notch, but for performance it would need a great deal of work.

After all of this talk about real justys I feel a bit left out, since mine has become a monster. I guess now I'll have to go find another to play with! Of course here in Colorado the damn things are every where. Should be easy to find 1 or 2 to mess with.

Troy

Originally posted by Joseph Davis

I talked to Jim, the guy who was going to help Dave out with a Justy engine. He'll be giving us a ring back when he gets the parts car the engine is coming from. Sometime this week, I'm guessing.

:D

Joseph,

Sorry I have not been in touch, I am still in the process of working with this guy to get this parts car. Its a done deal, Its just a matter of the two of us getting out of work and meeting at the same place at the same time! (He's been working a bunch of overtime and so have I) I will try to hook up with him this weekend and I will keep you posted!

Sorry for the delay.

Jim

Originally posted by RallyJusty

The electromagnet torque converter is another problem, it over heats under stress.

Troy

Hello Troy,

Can this problem be remedied by adding a tranny cooler (or two) and keeping the tranny fluid changed (synthetic or regular)? Thanks!

I sent and email or two off about the ECVT trannys and how to deal with them. It'll be interesting what response I get (if any). ;)

I know the easiest route may simply be to just go with the manual trannied version but I can't escape my auto addiction. I got issues but who doesn't? :cool:

Oh, I don't mean to get off subject with this post (yes I do) but do you guys think a set of 15" Konig Heliums would be nice on a Justy?

What's the Justy...13x5.5, 4x100 mm, +38 mm or thereabouts?

The Konig Heliums in 15" x 6.5" has a 4X100mm bolt pattern and a +40 offset. Plus And they weigh in at 10.8lbs a piece. How much does the stock 13" (or is it 12") Justy wheels weigh?

Just a thought!

137_s.jpg

yeah..15's might fit, the problem is that you can't find tires to fit them.

going to 14's is enough of a challange. as there are NO properly sized tires.

Plus there really isn't enough room in the wheel wells to put a big tire in there.

As far as exhaust goes....Somone could just make something up really cheap.

I think i now have almost all the parts i need for my project. I'm aiming to do it in a couple weeks.

I've got Brown Top Ford Injectors on the way. Now i just need an intercooler.

I think part of the reason this Turbo Justy was the Exhaust manifold. It looks like the tubing is about 2 inches, which will flow alot of air, but not have much velocity. When i do mine i'm gonna make the manifold tubing small, so i get more air velocity and it will spin the turbo up really nicely. Just make the tubing the same size as the exhaust ports coming out of the head. Which i think is about 1.5 Inch Tubing. It should make the turbo spool up much sooner

There is no reason it shouldn't spool up well in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear.

Originally posted by Myxalplyx

Oh, I don't mean to get off subject with this post (yes I do) but do you guys think a set of 15" Konig Heliums would be nice on a Justy?

What's the Justy...13x5.5, 4x100 mm, +38 mm or thereabouts?

That would be correct. I run a set of Enkei's of that size (although I would have to doublecheck the offset). I need new summer tires for next year. I run an old set of A008's that are down to the wear bars. The biggest tire you can is 185/60/13. I can barely get my pinky inbetween the strut and the wheel/wheel combo.

The rims that I would go with are 3-piece forged Compomotive ML's of the same size listed above.

Matthew

myxaplyx,

The torque converter uses metal powder that, when emersed in a magnetic field, binds the drive of the engine to the input of the tranny. Unlike a standard torque converter that uses the trans fluid to make the power connection. Cooling the tranny fluid would have very little impact.

Doesn't mean that using the ECVT can't be done. We brain stormed some crazy ideas, I mean crazy, to get the thing to take the power. Like taking out the torque converter and installing a regular clutch. You'd only need it at stops, and take-offs. Now talk about some crazy neutral dumps!

The next problem is band slippage, and the eventual band breakage. I would like to crack one open sometime to see if a nice strong belt could be fabbed to take the abuse. If the belt isn't immersed in fluid, something simple as a snowmobile belt may just do the trick!

Of course these are the ramblings of an insane man.

Troy

Originally posted by RallyJusty

The next problem is band slippage, and the eventual band breakage. I would like to crack one open sometime to see if a nice strong belt could be fabbed to take the abuse. If the belt isn't immersed in fluid, something simple as a snowmobile belt may just do the trick!

Of course these are the ramblings of an insane man.

Troy

Hey Troy,

I remember reading a long article that I found on the net and posted here about the ECVT (maybe it was another board..I dunno since I'm on quite a few). It spoke of different ECVT transmissions and how 1 or 2 of them from different manufacturers were able to be 'upgraded' by using a different type of belt. I don't think your rambling is 'insane' at all. :-p Heck, it would even be stronger if the belts could be replaced with a chain like some of the late model Subarus (and other cars) whose timing belts have been replacled with timing chains. Of course weak links may rear it's ugly head somewhere else in the tranny but you get the idea.