Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ steering rack in an EA82?

Numbchux

has it been done? not that I can think of.

I drove a impreza wagon with a Q-rack quick ratio steering rack today.....I have to have one!!! so while on this road trip (coming back from the Gravity Park rally, see Rally/Racing section for that thread), I started thinking about what it would take.

things we know.

-splines on the shaft are the same (people have used outback shafts for lifted Ea82s)

-power steering lines are in the same place and have the same threads

-tie rods have the same thread pitch

-mounting points are very similar (EJ rack bushings have been used on Ea82s. I believe).

my concerns:

-track width. this shouldn't be an issue since I'm using EA81 rod ends, there's lots of adjustment left (I would assume the EJ rack/rods to be longer/wider).

-mounting bracket LOCATIONS. even if they're similar enough to be usable, their location might complicate things

thoughts? I am still going to sell my car (if I can). but I also still plan to build another EA82 within a year or so. and this is something I would like to include in the build.

My thought for the tie rods/ends would be to see what the length difference in the EA82 and Imprezas are. I would imagine the EA82 inner tie rod would screw into the EJ rack without any issues since they seem to be the same thread and size so if length is difference, you might be able to use the shorter EA82 inners on the EJ rack. Might take care of the difference in length.

I also have an EJ rack sitting in my garage along with an XT6 rack as well. I might look into this coming up this week on my next day off and see if I can't find anything else that might be different/same.

My thought for the tie rods/ends would be to see what the length difference in the EA82 and Imprezas are. I would imagine the EA82 inner tie rod would screw into the EJ rack without any issues since they seem to be the same thread and size so if length is difference, you might be able to use the shorter EA82 inners on the EJ rack. Might take care of the difference in length.

I also have an EJ rack sitting in my garage along with an XT6 rack as well. I might look into this coming up this week on my next day off and see if I can't find anything else that might be different/same.

I know the thread pitch is the same between them all....but yea, if the overall width is different, maybe inner tie rods could be swapped. part numbers are different, but look at the pics of them. these are both moogs.

EA82:

EV216_TOP.jpg

EJ:

EV257_TOP.jpg

I'm also curious about the XT6 stuff. can you run the XT6 rack in a standard EA82? what about the pump? will it work with ATF? I'm confused by that.

The XT6 pump will work, its suggested that you flush the system to get the OEM stuff out so it doesnt mix with regular ATF.

I've thought about doing this on my RX, I would love to get rid of all the rotating mass on the front of the engine.

Electric water pump and I'm not sure about the alternator yet.

A remand XT6 rack with new seals should be compatible with ATF but the electric pump I'm unsure of. I have an XT6 rack in the garage that I'm going to install here shortly but won't know the benefits/drawbacks of it until I get the damn thing running again:rolleyes:

I do know I paid $45 shipped for it off of ebay:banana:

yea, I just meant using a standard belt-driven pump with the XT6 rack....

anyway. just got an email back from q-rack. they say they make no external modifications to the rack. so if an EJ series rack fits, theirs will too.

so, after studying some FSMs. looks like the XT racks are a 17:1 ratio (XT6 is not any quicker, even though it's 3.2 turns lock to lock, instead of 3.7. so I suspect the '6 can't turn as sharp). looks like most other EJs are in the 15-20 range. '04 STi is 2.7 turns lock-to-lock (no ratio shown). the q-rack offers 12.5:1 and 11.5:1 versions both about 2.4 turns.

i've put an XT6 rack in an EA82 - identical bolt on affair.

i use aftermarket EJ steering rack bushings on EA and XT6's - exactly the same.

a visual on them (no measuring or confirming), but laying in the garage they look the same.

a NZ XT6 owner can't get the cybrid power steering fluid locally and has had no problems in 4 years or so running ATF in the stock XT6 system.

i've mentioned swapping EJ/EA racks before and even suggested folks try it that needed cheap racks, because from everything i've seen they are the easily interchangeable. i haven't done it but i have some greenbacks i'd bet on it.

you guys are all over it, the tie rod end lengths would also be the one thing i can think of. i would think the rack bodies are the same, so just match the inner tie rods to the vehicle.

for instance if it's an EA car - use EA inner tie rods.

i use aftermarket EJ steering rack bushings on EA and XT6's - exactly the same.

yep, I remember you had said that. which is a huge start.

some great info here! hopefully I can run out to the junkyard and get some more information tomorrow.

i don't think i have any EJ racks sitting around that aren't still attached to a parts vehicle. i have a few projects going on and will be in the garage a good bit so if i think about it and get a chance over the next week i'll see what i have.

talked to a local buddy today. he's parting out a first-gen legacy. so I'll grab the rack from that. sometime in the next month, or so, I'll be swapping the motor, PS pump and lines anyway, so I'll see how close the fit is.

Bram on subaruxt.com did this on his ej20g build.. basicly they are the same. The only thing is that the atf lines on the ej rack outputs on the other side.. He cut a hole in the crossmember and strengthened it. Anyway here is a pic of it

post-11869-136027633393_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lazer

i put a WRX rack in my 83 brat and it fit but i had to reclock the angle of the steering shaft, it points down more then the older racks i had to use tapered shims like you would a rear diff in solid axle car and remake the hold down straps , the inner tirods are a lot longer so i had to cut them and thread them up more , the hole for the stering shaftand power stering lines had to be made bigger too .

it may be easier in the EA82 car ?

So I have compared an '03 WRX rack to a XT6 rack today. I have pics but I cannot find my stupid cord to plug my camera into the computer but I'll discuss some of the things I noted that were definatly different.

First off, rguyver is correct about the input shaft of the rack being at a different angle. Not a lot but there is a difference I noticed. Second, the PS lines that are on the WRX rack connect into where the input shaft housing is, aren't even close to how the XT6 rack lines go into it. I did notice however, the housings are probably interchangable but the bolt locations on them differ.

I need to find my cord, I took like 10 pics of them side by side:-\