Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok so what did you use for paint and where did you get it? I definitely want to go gold now. I was pretty sure I did anyway, but this was the clincher!!! Looks awesome!! Great job

Glad you asked.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=144&osCsid=ul4cel4p6q5c2dhlq7jcnkuti5

I ordered three cans but only used a can and a half. The key is in the prep work with the sanding and primer. It was ok to leave tires on when painting just make sure and have the wheel weight relocated. I would not recommend painting then having tires put on. They will scuff the wheels up. Also, the primer I used was two coats of etching primer.

I can get that paint right down the street from me...just give them the color code and it will be there within an hour. Good paint..I have some in the Cosmic Blue for my 83..thats how I learned how faded it is.

Looks great Kyle!!! and your right..its all in the prep work.

Nice!

So theres hope for the set of WRX wheels I have after all :-p

Thanks Rob, I took the factory RS 6 spokes off and shoved them in my shed. Wasn't much of a fan of them painted gold so I left them alone.

I can get that paint right down the street from me...just give them the color code and it will be there within an hour. Good paint..I have some in the Cosmic Blue for my 83..thats how I learned how faded it is.

Looks great Kyle!!! and your right..its all in the prep work.

Connie, thank you very much. Granted the paint is a little expensive, it was all worth it in the end. I have gotten nothing but great reviews about the painting job and looks even better when the car is cleaned up and waxed. I made sure and drove by local storefronts this past weekend to get a view of them in motion.

Edited by Durania

I'm a little surprised at how much the wheels on a car will get peoples attention.

Before I had my gold ADR's on I would get the occasional glance or wave from another subie owner.

Now I get looks from lots of people. They really set the car off.

I even had some guy in a lowered Honda sitting at a light give me a nod when I drove by :-p

I noticed almost instantly the amount of people looking had increased. The neighbor guys were out working on their house when I was putting them on but they couldn't see me. When I backed the car out and ran down the road I noticed several double takes from them.

• 10 months later...

Love the car, really like the gold rims on it. When I bought my 99 Legacy gt I was really shopping for a 2.5 RS, just couldn't find one in my price range (or at all, really. Seems you guys don't want to part with you cars....don't blame you). My car is the limited edition with the two-tone silver and gold rims. I must've come into contact with something while experiencing some lateral g's and bent one of the rims, so I've been riding on the same silver WRX rims you painted. I really miss the gold rims, so now you've got me thinking......