Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thermostat question.

my ea82 has the same problem, put in a new thermostat still overheating. fan working fine. I susspect my waterpump is going bad b/c some days it runs cool other days it runs hot. thermostat replacement is a very cheap fix, I'd try that first.

There is a switch for the fan?

Is it on the fan side of the radiator

I want to replace the thermostat too, my car is the same way some times it will run cool and some times it will run to where it wants to over heat. Then the water steams out of the over fill or reservoir what ever that it's called.

thanks for the suggestions too!

Yeah, I believe the thermoswitch is on the passenger side of the radiator.

I would look at the wires going to it, make sure they're ok.

If they're fine, the switch is probably your problem.

I would recommend you wire a manual switch to those wires.

All you need to turn the fan on is to ground it from those wires, I believe.

Best wishes on getting it figured out!

Twitch

PS: I second you replacing the theremostat, it may be sticking, causing part

of your problem.

They kill you offering low prices but their inventory is very inaccurate. Try something else: O'Reily, Pepboys, etc.

I haven't had any problems. They have pictures of the parts online and if it doesn't match what I need then I don't buy it. You do have to be somewhat intelligent about searching for parts in any inventory system. It's the nature of the scale of consumer production.

GD

Well I messed with the wiring and I think it was getting a bad connection because it got warm today and the fan popped on to cool it off so Ill see if this problem is fixed tomorrow when I can drive the car :]

Also on another note I was wondering if an ea82t in a wagon would have the same distributor as an XT turbo?

Thanks

Also on another note I was wondering if an ea82t in a wagon would have the same distributor as an XT turbo?

Thanks

Might have a different plug but it's going to be the same unit. In fact all incarnations of fuel injected EA82's (Turbo, MPFI, and SPFI) use the same distributor. It's just an optical CAS unit.

GD