Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ball joint stuck!!!

ok so i was trying to replace my ball joints today. i read through all the other posts but i still cant get mine to come out. this is what i did:

took wheel off

removed pinch bolt all the way

sprayed everything with pb blaster and let it sit

wedged a screw driver in the pinch seam

started hamering down on the control arm

after about 30 min of doing that i could get the joint to move up and down maybe a millimeter. hammered some more and i couldnt get it to move any more then that. what am i doing wrong?

Once you have it moving you're just about there. I took the load off by putting a jack under the control arm and jumped on a really long pry bar instead of hammering. Hammer a fat flat-head screwdriver in the pinch joint (making sure not to impede the removal of the joint).

It'll come.

Once you have it moving you're just about there. I took the load off by putting a jack under the control arm and jumped on a really long pry bar instead of hammering. Hammer a fat flat-head screwdriver in the pinch joint (making sure not to impede the removal of the joint).

It'll come.

what do you mean "took the load off" wouldnt putting a jack under the control arm not let it swing down when the ball joint pops out? where did you put the pry bar?

spray it w/ p-b blast and let it sit overnight. if that doesn't work hit it with a torch to heat up the metal, carful not to torch any rubber parts. when you put the new one in coat the top w/ ant-seaze or grease, so it wont rust to the top of the sleeve(the problem you now have)

long pry bar with flat pointy end (like you use for digging holes)

slide in there somewhere to push down on arm... done..

:rolleyes: I did the same as you kind of till I asked the same question... and I happended to have my favorite digger bar... worked great for me.

well i cme up with a good idea to get it out. this is what i did:

took the nut off of the stem

took it out of the lca

rented a sliding hammer

used the part you use for a wheel hub

tightened the nut

gave it a couple pounds and it came right out!!!

but when i went to the drivers side and started on the pinch bolt the head twisted off....:mad: so i went to the auto store and got a new bolt. now i just need to go back and drill it out and replace that one