Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is your record for a trans swap?

As most of us will agree,Info is valuable,that is one of my favorite things about all of us being here.

I was hoping you guys,and girls would tell me how your trans swaps have

gone, (lifted/non lifted)? time frame?,problems?,suggestions?

all info,comments are appreciated.:). thnx

I could probably do a EA82T swap - twice - in the time it takes me to do a tranny swap.

With the right tools, it can be cake.

Lift, concrete floor, jacks, air tools, etc.

It general, it takes me all day if I'm doing it by myself.

I could probably do a EA82T swap - twice - in the time it takes me to do a tranny swap.

With the right tools, it can be cake.

Lift, concrete floor, jacks, air tools, etc.

It general, it takes me all day if I'm doing it by myself.

Thanks Rob, yea but you have those EA82t were you could do it blindfolded.:grin:

CobCob,and I are planning the 3.9 swap soon on ROXY. The right tools, are a huge factor.........

I did a clutch on my lifted wagon by dropping the trans a few years ago. probably took me 10-12 hours total, over the course of 2 days.

didn't even have to lift it off the ground. left the axles in the hubs, just lowered the trans, then slid it to one side and pulled one axle off, and to the other for the other side. and ditto to put them on before lifting the trans back up.

mine was a 4" lifted EA82 on 28" tires, and with the trans rolled on it's side a bit on a mechanics creeper, I was able to roll it out from under the car without jacking the car up at all.

a tip, when it comes time to put the trans back in. use a jack and wood blocks on the oil pan to tilt the engine back a bit. it'll make aligning the clutch 1 billion times easier.

ratchet straps are awesome for this. I used one from the strut towers and down under the front of the trans, and a floor jack under the back.

don't forget to drain the fluid before you start lowering. if you don't, when you slip and the back ends up a bit lower than the front, and it starts dumping gear oil out the rear output all over you chest, you'll spend days trying to get the smell of gear oil out of your skin. go ahead....ask me how I know :grin:

On any 80 or 90's Subaru, with a lift, and tranny jack I can pull a tranny in about 1-1.5 hours by myself. So about 3 hours for the whole job. It took me about 7 to change the tranny in my Brat when I did it on the concrete floor. The lift is sooooo nice!!! My record is on a woods beater 87 EA82 GL wagon. The d/r tranny blew and we wanted to have this car to bomb around in for a big party we were having. My friend and I swapped it out in an hour!!!