Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale transmission swaps

Throwing this out and hoping for some advice

Im not really a subaru guru. I know a bit about them but just enough to keep mine running and sounding sick.

Ive got a 1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon.

Push Button 4 Wheel Drive.

5 Speed Manual

Stock motor

2.5in exhaust

Etc.

It needs a new transmission soon, Ive been nursing it for awhile, but alas, money is finally available and I dont wanna get a regular transmission for it unless I have to.

Is there any swaps I can do from other subaru years that will fit? (nicely, I dont have enough expertise to retro-fit a different one if it wont fit without many mods):-\

Otherwise, how much am I looking for price wise for this swap and would it be cheaper to just get another stock 92 subaru transmission?

Thanks

So when I see on craigslist (website for selling/buying/trading) that there is a Subaru transmission out of a 2003 Subaru 2.5RS, or 2005 Subaru outback etc... they should fit my Subie?

If not. What years am I looking for. Also wanting to know if anyone knows where I can find aftermarket tail lights, exhaust and wheels, and seats.

I found seats out of a 2004 WRX STI (will those fit?)

I found seats out of a 2003 Acura RSX (will those fit?)

Any EA82 transmission. So, the 5 speeds from 1985 to 1994 (loyale, not legacy. The ones from the EJ series cars (legacies, impreza's, foresters, etc) will not fit without swapping a bunch of other stuff and buying an adaptor plate for it.

I'd suggest getting a 5speed dual range from an '85 to '89 GL ... same as you currently have, but with a 1.59:1 low range too. Or a full time awd one from an RX or XT. Those would be considered upgrades from the pushbutton 4wd that the loyales came with, and would, for the most part, be a direct bolt in.

• 2 months later...
5 spds yes.

Autos not quite, but it would interchange.

sweet. i'm buying a near mint 92 Loyale, and was gonna swap the auto trans out. there is an '88 xt6 with bad motor for $300 i might pick up to scavenge if it'd work, and i can get him down to around $200 i guess the thing just needs a timing belt or something.

sweet. i'm buying a near mint 92 Loyale, and was gonna swap the auto trans out. there is an '88 xt6 with bad motor for $300 i might pick up to scavenge if it'd work, and i can get him down to around $200 i guess the thing just needs a timing belt or something.

Well....you asked if XT and XT6 were the same......not Loyales

The 92 Loyale auto is a 3spd with pushbutton 4wd(3AT). An 88 XT6 would most likely have the 4spd *fulltime* automatic (4EAT) You can't use the 4spd auto in your loyale without a major wirng job. The Trans Computer and wiring would need installed and hooked up to the TPS signal.....although likely that won't work because the SPFI use a different Ohm range for the TPS.

Even if by chance the xt6 had a 3AT with pushbutton, it would likely be the wrong gear ratio, and would have 25 spline stubs like a turbo.

So if all you want is a new automatic for you're loyale, just buy one from a wrecker for $200. The XT6 auto won't work.

The 92 Loyale auto is a 3spd with pushbutton 4wd(3AT). An 88 XT6 would most likely have the 4spd *fulltime* automatic (4EAT) You can't use the 4spd auto in your loyale without a major wirng job. The Trans Computer and wiring would need installed and hooked up to the TPS signal.....although likely that won't work because the SPFI use a different Ohm range for the TPS.

Even if by chance the xt6 had a 3AT with pushbutton, it would likely be the wrong gear ratio, and would have 25 spline stubs like a turbo.

So if all you want is a new automatic for you're loyale, just buy one from a wrecker for $200. The XT6 auto won't work.

ah, thanks for the clarification and such..

what i was really wanting to do was get a manual trans in there and possibly have AWD vs the push button 4wd

bare with me, im new... still trying to see whats what around this site. :)

EDIT: So if i were to find a 5spd dual range i could put that in tho right? (once i get the pedal etc etc stuff for inside the car)

i dont think its ohms for the 4eat as much as the regular SPFI has a 3 pin connector and the MPFI/4EAT has a 3 pin + 2 pin connector.

i always forget when i go get a spare and i come home with one that wont work

In my honest opinion

if you can get the xt6 for 200 do it... put a timing belt on it the 2.7 flat six is very nice

that would make a very fun rig for you.

i dont think its ohms for the 4eat as much as the regular SPFI has a 3 pin connector and the MPFI/4EAT has a 3 pin + 2 pin connector.

i always forget when i go get a spare and i come home with one that wont work

SPFI TPS has 4 pins.

MPFI has a a total of 5 pins on 2 plugs......however 2 of those are ground.....in fact they join as one wire just a foot or so down the harness.

So both use a total of 4 wires.....

Idle switch

+ reference

+ position

Ground.

So the wiring is all there.....but the TPS output is in a different range:rolleyes:

I had a similar dillema putting my Spider intake on my MPFI. Had to make the 5 wire TPS harness mate to the 4 pin Spider TPS which does output in the same range. Unfortunately it rotates opposite from SPFI so no swappage there.