Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need more light (headlights)

Well in his guide it shows big before and after results:)

So old style relays can cause a power shortage (In a sence) from getting to the light harness?

Is it a job to get at the relays? I believe I read the blinker elay is somewhere by the Blower motor? (I should have looked when I had it out while replacing the coil pack) back in '07..

-Tom

I've noticed that vehicles (Acura, Lexus/Toyota, Honda, Masurati, ect) using "Projection" headlights are way brighter then the H.I.Ds. The Projections shoot far and wide, also looks like daylight about 10ft in front of the car. (Yes these are a blueish white) actually the Projections look like 3 colors, from the side they look a little yellow, in front but off to the side a bit they look blue and right dead in front they are whiteish. I like that style of lights.

Just was thinking lol

-Tom

Your not swapping relays, the old positive line relays in the Subaru stay to power the new relays (just easier to leave them is all) the headlights get rewired to common negative, then the relays control the positive. So instead of your lights power having to go all the way through your steering column dip switch which looses about 1 to 1.5 volts (this equals about 10watts of power) you get almost battery volts on your globes.

Read the write up, you'll hopefully understand then.

Yes the projector headlites like my doge truck used to have work very well. The silverstars did make a noticeable difference, just not $100 worth. The bluish light was a little brighter, but was bad for glare on a wet road.

They made enough light that people used to flash me when i was using the low beams.

If any one is interested, Freightliner is owned and designed by Mecedes Benz.

Back in the day, freightliner was a decently made american truck, now it is just Eurotrash. a cheaply made throwaway truck.

Some people like them, but I dont, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Thanks everyone here for the good discussion. I got to learn some things to.

I have not tried the nighthawks, but the reports on them seem to be good.

I plan to try them or the Sylvania xtra visions in my car.

Maybe Ill right up a report for board.

I am also working on an idea for a poor mans bumper mounted light bar.

LOL about me typing so much, I am truly a horrible typist, it took me almost an hour to type those posts, to much correcting, LOL@me.

I enjoy reading all of the posts from you young people here, it does me good to get a young persons viewpoint sometimes. I am just a cranky old guy, with a cranky old Subaru.

Thanks for the great board.

I enjoy reading all of the posts from you young people here, it does me good to get a young persons viewpoint sometimes.

And vice-versa... us young-uns (me) should listen to the old dudes once in a while, we could actually learn something.

So I have to remember this at times... "Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill" says one of the guys here at our shop. And the all time favorite- "No good deed goes un-punished".

Thanks, T-man

Here is a crappy phone picture I took during winter, these are the Nokya 100/120 artic white.

And no the Hellas are not wired to the headlights Lol

Snowing2.jpg

Incase anyone was wondering about the lights I speak of :-p

-Tom

EDIT: They shoot way farther now with the bigger wheels (I think I adjusted my lights down to much a long time ago) Now they shoot just fine.

Hows the glare off the hood?

With my bullbar before I painted the bars around the lights black I lots so much vision because the reflected light screws up your night vision. Got rid of most of the reflecting and the headlights looked quite a few watts brighter.

Also before going and upping the watts etc of your lights, try not having any blue lights in the car, like CD players, neon's, etc. Blue light screws your night vision up too. Orange is best for night vision, so make all internal lights orange or red.

Just more food for thought. Sometimes upgrading isn't the only way around, you can fix influences to the problem as well.

Phiz, theres no glare from the hood. It just lights it up aswell as the sides of the car (Works great) I like turning them on cause from inside the car you see the light beams shooting out above you (Looks cool) those on top light up the road like 10ft in front of ya (Like spots) The 2 I have in front of my grill shoot far and light up the entire road for bout 65ft or more!

The only blue lights I have in the car are floor lights under dash and my Pioneer radio. Don't even notice them while driving :)

-Tom

My lightforce 170's light about 800meters down the road. 250m or so I can spot animals easily. But I didn't have to pay for these so I guess it might be a bit much for anyone to get some (I won mine in a race).

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/victoria_trip_2009_56.jpg

Wow those are nice! Rally style spots huh, Very cool. I paid $50 for my Hella Comet 500s.

-Tom