Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't figure it out...

I drive an '86 GL hatchback, and have a couple questions about some things I've noticed.

roo001.jpg

What color is this trim supposed to be? This greyish color doesn't seem right.

roo002.jpg

What the heck is this for?

roo003.jpg

roo004.jpg

In these last two, these are places for accessory buttons I'm guessing. Anything in particular supposed to go there?

first pic the trim supposed to be black

last pic, the plug with the plastic cover that was for the passing lamp switch/offroad cyclops/center lamp switch.

the ones on the right of the wheel for the winch accessory toggle, and for the foglight toggle switch

1st one is the dilithium storage access cover. 2nd is photon torpedo switch,

3rd is faser array switch, and fourth is to go into stealth mode.

how'd this thing ever pass inspection before leaving spacedock:lol:

Edited by opelsuby
misspell

first pic the trim supposed to be black

last pic, the plug with the plastic cover that was for the passing lamp switch/offroad cyclops/center lamp switch.

the ones on the right of the wheel for the winch accessory toggle, and for the foglight toggle switch

and the blank under the ashtray is for stereo fader/balance before '83... '83 and after I think the power mirror control went there...

I drive an '86 GL hatchback, and have a couple questions about some things I've noticed.

roo001.jpg

What color is this trim supposed to be? This greyish color doesn't seem right.

Probably black.

roo002.jpg

What the heck is this for?

Power mirror control. An option you don't have.

roo003.jpg

That would be the 80-82 center lamp switch location. Not used after 82.

roo004.jpg

In these last two, these are places for accessory buttons I'm guessing. Anything in particular supposed to go there?

80 through 82 would have had the cruise control main power switch in the right hand location. The one on the left could have been for dealer installed fog lights, etc. It depends on the year and model as different technicians could have installed the switches into different locations for dealer installed options such as cruise control and fog lamps, etc.

None of these are important for an '86. They are just carry-over snap-out locations for accesories that probably were mostly unavailibly by '86. The EA81's were phased out after '84 except for the hatch and the brat which continued on as "cheaper" alternatives to the flagship EA82 line (which didn't have a comparably sized body style to either one).

GD

basically your car is mostly optionless. I always thought the "leftmost" plug and hole was for the center lamp. My BRAT parts car had the center lamp switch there, that is why it is covered with a black plug on the other models..? I may be wrong, but why would they put the center lamp switch on the right, over by the wiper switch. It was by the light switch, ON THE LEFT.

:grin:

GD i think i taught something to you, although i think you are mostly 99.9% correct on all others.

I was at a P.A.P today there was 83 or 84 GL wagon there. It had a C.C knob on the right side of steering wheel in that blank spot on yours below the wiper control. It could be the wrong knob for that control. I trust GD more than a car in the PAP

Yeah - I could have them reversed - been a while since I looked at one with either. Basically the three you generally see there are Center Lamp, Fog Lamps, and Cruise Control - I don't think I'm priveleged enough to have actually seen one with all three of them but they surely existed.

GD

wasn't the cruise control switch located on the top of the steering column like where the virgin switch is on the newer legacy's

wasn't the cruise control switch located on the top of the steering column like where the virgin switch is on the newer legacy's

*factory* CC was mounted there on '83 and '84 models.

*dealership* installed CC was a kit that could be installed to any EA81 without it from the factory - it was different and the main power switch was located down by your right knee.

GD