Ultimate Subaru Message Board

timing cover bs

so on my 86 I got the long block put back in. I have a timing kit for it, and I was planning on running w/o covers on the engine like I did my last ea82 (years and years ago).

Today I got some inspiration and putzed around a couple junkyards. After I got thru 6 subarus, I finally found a set of timing covers where all the bolts loostened without breaking the rear covers :banana:. I believe they came free like they were supposed to because they hadnt been overtightened by anyone since the day it left the factory, as it still had subaru timing belts on it (at 200K too!!!).

SOOO question is.. what prep do you guys use to make sure these dang bolts dont sieze in the covers?? I was thinking about barely tightening the bolts and drilling them for safety wire so they dont come out.

-Mike

thanks for your thoughts people. In the past I have always used zip ties when covers start breaking. -Looks ghetto but works.

Like I said I finally managed to come across a set of non-broken timing cover pieces, so I am interested in being able to use the threaded holes. I'll let you know what formula I come up with, though I wouldent be suprised if these damn things siezed and broke anyway...

SOMEBODY out there needs to make cast aluminum versions of these things.

The zip-tie method sounds interesting, but I haven't tried it...yet.

What I have done in the past is cheat. I got longer bolts (all thread, no shoulder), nylock nuts and flat washers (all SS, IIRC). I threaded the bolts (with some locktite) through the rear of the back covers so that they stuck forwards. You can then slide the front covers over them and secure the covers with the flat washers and locknuts. Strain can be taken off the cover nut-inserts by using a wrench on the bolthead.

Maybe complicated and overkill, but looks fairly neat and practically guarantees that the covers can be easily removed.

*quality* zip ties don't have that problem. And if you periodically check the belt tension then you are replacing them every 10k or so.

Don't buy the chinese zip ties.

GD

Lol thats very true :)

I guess replacing the ties every 10k where you check the belts would also keep them from breaking (Didn't think about that)

Hmm, Cast-Aluminum covers? That'd be cool.

buy the actual "zip tie" brand. if they dont have the metal locking clip inside the end, they arent the real ones. these are very strong, I've held together a lot of things on snowmachines and 4 wheelers with these and they rarely break.

And then when u need the do t-belts on it, u can just take a exacto knife or a carpenters knife and a quick flick the covers are off