Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where do you guys get brake parts from?

Time to do the front brakes on my Impreza. Do you guys have any recommendations on suppliers/brands, etc? I need to replace the pads and rotors on both sides, and the caliper on the right front, and I don't know anything about the different brands that are available, so I don't know which are quality parts and which are junk.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

I personally will never again buy NAPA brake pads, shoes, discs anything brake parts....I dont know what it is with there parts but Ive done a few brake jobs on various subarus and either they give me the wrong parts or there the correct parts and they make noise...(yes all properly lubed and everything)...I do not recommended buying NAPA....I would personally go OEM....

I have good luck with Wagner Thermo-Quiet pads. They are about all I use on everything. Including the GF's 2006 Impreza.

Rotors are a crap shoot. Most of the time the cheap ones seem to work. I doubt that the pricier ones are anything other than fancier labels on the same rotors.

I just bought Raybestos warranted rotors for my van(also China). Supposed to be lifetime against cracking or warpage. I didn't have to buy the pads from them either. They were 30% more (some bean counter is just playing the #'s). But I use the van pretty exclusively for towing so I thought I'd give them a shot. Too soon to tell.

subaru brake sizing is notoriously convoluted in the 90's, lots of places will get you wrong parts.

i like the NAPA ceramic pads - the True Stops i think they are called. Nice, no noise, good performance.

i've never had a problem with advanced auto parts pads, but they don't *seem* to perform as well.

NAPA also has an ADI - or Adaptive brand ceramics which are quite a bit more expensive that I use on my cars, they come complete with all new shims and metal holders. I like those as well.

Friend had a bad caliper and the rebuild kit was only $2.99 from advanced auto parts. Sure beats a $100 caliper. Did it on the car too, it was super easy. One seal and the rubber boot, nothing to it.

I've always bought NAPA and had great results!! Always got the right parts and always lasted a long time and work great, but it helps that it is a locally owned business where they time extra time and effort to make sure you get the right parts, That's the only aftermarket automotive store I will go to.

NAPA gets a gold star for being the only aftermarket place that had parking/Ebrake shoes. Someone here recommended them. Half the price of the dealer's "rebuild kit".

No NAPA's close to me though.

Wish I knew that. The dealer charged me 70 bucks for the e-brake shoes.