Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey I'm looking to buy a used Subaru so I can take it up to school with me next semester. I go to school in Syracuse so I need something that can take the snow, and I want something that will at least last me 3 more years. I'll only really be driving the 253 miles to school about 4 times and besides that only down the street to do my laundry and to the supermarket. I found a Subaru Legacy 1995 on craigslist for $1000 and I want to know if it's worth it. The reason it's so cheap is because it's been side swiped and needs a new door. It has 125,000 miles, it has snow and regular all season tires. Is it worth it for me to buy this car?

that car has a great engine and transmission, so it's a good choice. it will depend greatly on the condition and maintenance. you can get 95's for free if they're in horrible shape and have a quarter million miles. or they can sell for $3,000+ in good subaru markets if low miles and great shape.

if i was looking for a friend, i'd consider the one you're talking about. i'd hope to probably bring the price down a bit, particularly if the door is so bad it needs replaced.

be nice to know if/when the timing belt was ever replaced. if it never has or it's not known, or old you might consider having the timing belt replaced.

Odds are good that I have a door. I have all 4 dark Blue ones from a 95 Sedan, the LR has a dent but power window still worked fine.

I also will have all 4 doors from a 97 Outback in the standard green color.

My favorite year of Suby.

I just finished one last week.

I picked up my 95 Lego wagon for $250 with a bad tranny.. had 182K on it... dropped a new tranny in and I drive it almost every day. Just did the timing belt a couple weekends ago..and if it wouldnt have had a stripped bolt....it would have been finished in about 2 hours. Havent driven it in the snow yet but a friend of mine swares by them ( I have used my 08 Impreza now for 2 winters and its unstoppable.)

Doors can be had for them easily if you want to take a road trip to PA to Harrys U Pull it.. could probably even get it in the correct color. $35

The EJ22 is such an easy motor to work on and learn on too.

Test drive it on gravel or a grass patch and see if it behaves like an AWD and not just spinning the front wheels.

Drive in TIGHT circles on pavement in a parking lot where you can do a few figure 8's and see if anything makes unusual noise or you feel a binding of the drive train.

Use the search option here on the board for "Torque Bind" and check the car for symptoms of that, also some 95 models aren't AWD, check and make sure.

If it's an automatic make sure that there is no fuse in the FWD holder under the hood on the passenger side by the firewall.

Otherwise the 95 was a great year. I had one that we'd still drive if not for an accident a year and a half ago. You may find yourself keeping it longer than you plan to.

If it runs good, and has decent tires, and a fairly clean interior, I would offer $700 because of the bad door, maybe pay $800, If it were me, and the door wasn't damaged that bad, I would leave the door as is. As someone else wrote, it would be a good to replace the timing belt, tensioner, oil seal, and water pump. Adding new spark plugs and plug wires would be good too, if existing ones look old. Once this work is done, you should have good dependability with the car, and it will start when the outside temp is 20 below zero.

Let us know how you come out.

I put a rear door on my '97 L for $150; it was even the same body color so it was a plug and play install. One note: the 95 Legacy was FWD; I might suggest looking for one with AWD. Those Syracuse winter storms can be vicious!

. One note: the 95 Legacy was FWD; I might suggest looking for one with AWD. Those Syracuse winter storms can be vicious!

my 95 lego is AWD my friends 95 lego is AWD also..unless you are talking about the particular one the person who started the thread is looking at

Edited by Bucky92

Sorry ‘bout that. In ’95 AWD was not offered on the base Legacy but was an option on the “L” and standard on the LS and LSI as well as the Outback. Guess I “assumed” too much but would be worth checking on.

Great you guys have been really helpful. I contacted the seller and I'm gonna check it out. It says it's a Legacy L so I guess that means I have to check if it has AWD, although the owner said she used to live in Colorado. I still have to see what she's done for it and as luck has it there's a Subaru dealership in her town so I'll have them check it out. If the door isn't beyond repair I'll probably just leave it but if not I'll try and find a door before I buy the car, just in case. I wouldn't mind riding up to PA, whereabouts is that shop? I know Philly is only 2 hours from here and I'm sure I could convince my friends to go on a road trip.

Edited by thegyrations

I bought a 1995 Legacy L Wagon almost a year ago. It had around 224,000 miles on it and now I got over 239,000. The car has been great, parts are cheap and its really easy to work on. For 1000 bucks grab it! Sounds like a good deal!

Well I talked to the guy and found some other issues. For instance it isn't a wagon it's a sedan and thus only has FWD. I'm still thinking about it, but I really would like a wagon with AWD. I did a little more shopping around and found 2 different Legacys one is a '98 AWD with 200,984 miles. It's got a new clutch, catalytic converter and brakes though and he says it was just serviced. They want $2300 for it, which seems alright if it's in as good shape as they say.