Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I am needing to open the lid on the fuel tank and want to know what to do before so to avoid any mistake/mess.

I tried easing off one of the fuel lines and a bit of gas came out so I stopped.

Do I need to do anything before taking the lines off?

any help appreciated

Model and year? Which side?

On the Legacy's (here) it's no big deal. They say you need a new rubber gasket when re-instlaling but folks here have used the old gasket - I get a new one.

About 8-10 nuts, the wireing clip, and 3 hoses.

Biggest issue is usually getting the 3 hoses out of the way enough and turning and tilting the unit to get it out. Never have but wouldn't want to have a hose fall between the tank and the body.

Remove the access panel, then below it is the tank. Don't loose the very itsybitsy bolts. You need to wiggle the passenger side out and rotate it 90 debrees to get it out. Its not fragile, but be nice to it.

and no

:Flame:

nipper

• 2 weeks later...

just a question about closing the tank again.

I put the assembly back in. I'm not sure if you need to do anything special or not but now my gas gauge says I have more than half a tank of gas. When the car is turned off I have quarter.

Also is there anything I need to do to get fuel pumping again? (my car is not starting, thats why I am opening the tank etc)

thanks

just a question about closing the tank again.

I put the assembly back in. I'm not sure if you need to do anything special or not but now my gas gauge says I have more than half a tank of gas. When the car is turned off I have quarter.

Also is there anything I need to do to get fuel pumping again? (my car is not starting, thats why I am opening the tank etc)

thanks

You need at least 4 or 5 gallons of fuel in there to be enough for the pump to prime.

As for the gauge, did you happen to do anything that would have bent the float arm? or gotten it wedged in place?

Did you test for Voltage to the pump? If you have no voltage to the pump, you need to test the Fuel pump Relay. MY money is on the relay.

Another thought though, have you tested for spark? If the ECU isn't getting a Crank sensor signal to send spark, it also will not ground the Fuel pump.

Test fuel pump operation by connecting the 2 green test connectors and turning key to on. If it works in this *test* mode, then you know the problem is not at the pump, but rather is a missing Crank Angle Sensor Signal or other spark issue, so the ECU won't fire the pump up during cranking/starting.

I had tried replacing the crank sensor a while ago. There is spark. Is definitely fuel problem as have tried using stater fluid.

sorry I don't understand what you mean by "two green test connectors"

Under dash, Near ECU. They are for putting the ECU into a test mode. They should be toghether for testing and disconnected for all other operation.

If you have spark, I would bet on the Relay. What year and model are we talking here?

1994 ej18 impreza gc6. (right hand drive)

Is the green plug quite small? I see two green plugs unplugged next to each other.

Also with the fuel gauge, when the car is turned off should the needle go right back down to empty? Or does it stay on how much fuel you have even when off (might have broken the fuel floater sensor thing)

Edited by sub_dont_touch