Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pug Question

This is based on my memory from owning a number of Peugeots in years gone by. I'm pretty sure it's correct, but don't take it as gospel without doing some measuring first. That said:

• All steel and alloy rims for a Peugeot 504 use the same backspacing.

• All steel and alloy rims for a Peugeot 505 use the same backspacing; this applies to vehicles from both before and after the body style change in 1986.

• Backspacing is slightly different for 504 rims than for 505 rims and vice-versa.

This applies only to rims fitted to the four wheels normally on the ground. It does not apply to rims from the spare, which may be different. I seem to recall that Peugeot used a standard steel wheel for the spare on most models, but 'Peugeot' and 'consistency' do not always go together.

As I say, I'm pretty sure this is correct. I've swapped 505 rims to 504s and vice-versa before without any issues, which means it should be a non-issue on 4-lug Subarus.

I know it's common knowledge, but it bears repeating: watch out that you're not getting a 390mm rim. They were used on 505s in (roughly) the 1983-1985 timeframe, and you won't get tyres for them for less than $200 apiece. Obviously you'll check anyway, but if the rim has Michelin TRXs on it, beware. It's also not unusual to run across vehicles with four 14" or 15" rims, but a 390mm spare - people would swap out the four main 390mm rims, but not the spare.

Edited by casm

Do you happen to have photos of the rims? There was a company (their name escapes me) back in the late-'80s and '90s bringing in alloys not available in the US for European cars. It's possible that you may have a rim from a 205, 309, or other Peugeot not sold in the US.

yeah the alloys are the ones that are different. I have some that have a different off set than others

Those 'turbine' alloys were used from about '81 up to about '84 (possibly '85) if I remember correctly, and were usually found on lower-spec models - we used to find them a lot on sedans and wagons with low trim levels. I don't believe they were ever used on the '86-up (new body style) models or any V6s / turbos.

One possibility I can think of: if the TRX-era cars offered a standard-sized rim as an option, that may account for it: it's possible that the offsets on the standard alloys were changed to match the offset that the TRX rims had. To be brutally honest, I'd always junk TRX rims when I found them; I figured it was my way of doing the world a favour, so I don't really know a great deal about them other than that they're really good for keeping the car off the ground while you're grabbing the gear linkage. Having said that, it's possible you've got one from the TRX era and one from the time when Peugeot came to their senses and gave up on weird tyres.

Definitely interesting, though. I'm actually curious to hear how this shakes out; I had Peugeots for nearly a decade and never ran into backspacing issues with them. Still, there's obviously one here, so something's definitely up.

should match up well with Guido :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Those 'turbine' alloys were used from about '81 up to about '84 (possibly '85) if I remember correctly, and were usually found on lower-spec models - we used to find them a lot on sedans and wagons with low trim levels. I don't believe they were ever used on the '86-up (new body style) models or any V6s / turbos.

One possibility I can think of: if the TRX-era cars offered a standard-sized rim as an option, that may account for it: it's possible that the offsets on the standard alloys were changed to match the offset that the TRX rims had. To be brutally honest, I'd always junk TRX rims when I found them; I figured it was my way of doing the world a favour, so I don't really know a great deal about them other than that they're really good for keeping the car off the ground while you're grabbing the gear linkage. Having said that, it's possible you've got one from the TRX era and one from the time when Peugeot came to their senses and gave up on weird tyres.

Definitely interesting, though. I'm actually curious to hear how this shakes out; I had Peugeots for nearly a decade and never ran into backspacing issues with them. Still, there's obviously one here, so something's definitely up.

You are so funny mick. So any more creatures building nests in your beard.:lol:

And as soon as i read that i knew your arse was going to chimne in with something witty and funny about that. Atleast i bring my subarus to subaru events.

Anyways i measured all wheels. There the same to the best of my measureing abilities. I have 2 different style drums on my car. Ill take pictures before but one has a raised lip in the center ant the other one doesnt. It doesnt allow me to have a center cap on my passenger side of the car. I cant explain but ill let the pictures do the talking.

Ben

I have one 14" alloy that's different than the other seven... I don't know about the offset but the depth of the lug holes is shallower than the other seven... I'll probably sell that one since it doesn't match... I don't remember it sticking out further than the other one but I can do some measuring when I remember...

I have one 14" alloy that's different than the other seven... I don't know about the offset but the depth of the lug holes is shallower than the other seven...

That's normal. Peugeot used a couple of different lug styles over the years, so they won't necessarily swap wheel-to-wheel. Been there and done that at the junkyard; 'cool, I just got a full set of lugs... Aw, crap.'

get the rear disks on that thing.....

Lately i cant even find time to look under the hood of my car. My daughters birthday is today and the party is this weekend. Running around blah blah blah. I want to change them, i really do. A friend of mine offered to help me bleed the brakes on my car if i help him change the rotors on his town car. I know easy right. Ill get them done, they might be this winter though. Getting rid of my garage in august doesnt help though.

Lately i cant even find time to look under the hood of my car. My daughters birthday is today and the party is this weekend. Running around blah blah blah. I want to change them, i really do. A friend of mine offered to help me bleed the brakes on my car if i help him change the rotors on his town car. I know easy right. Ill get them done, they might be this winter though. Getting rid of my garage in august doesnt help though.

I might need the axle nut socket before then :)