Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Distributor question

Hey guys, given the error code that I'm receiving my crank angle sensor in the dizzy is bad.

I'm wondering if there is a difference between the 86 and 88 models?

For an 86 I see this model as a reman by A1 cardone - A131853

and for an 88 this model as a reman by A1 cardone - A131854

The only difference I can see is that the 88 model is for turbo, FI and carb whereas the 86 is for gas, FI.

The auto parts store can't tell me the difference other than the model number.

Reason I'm asking is I can get a dizzy for an 88-91 off ebay for $95 versus paying $200+ from the auto parts store for an 86.

'83 - '86 Turbo's use a different, and older style distributor. The ignition advance is still partially mechanically controlled with a vacuum pot and mechanical advance. The '87+ distributor's are 100% electronic with no advance mechanisms at all.

So no, they are not compatible.

Unless you are refering to the (rare) '86 SPFI used on high-end 2WD's.... in that case it's the same but you will have to change the plug.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Just to clarify this is the distributor I currently have... No vacuum advance and no module.

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com/catalog/details/Subaru/GL/A1_Cardone/Distributor/1986/Base/4_Cyl_1-dot-8L/A131853.html

Then I take it you have an SPFI system with no turbo?

A 2WD then I'm guessing?

In which case ANY 87+ fuel injection distributor will work for you. You *may* have to change the plug but the actual distributor is the same.

GD

Not to make things more confusing, but why excactly are you replacing the distributor?

I mean, you are getting a code we know but what is the actual running problem you are having?

the reason I ask, is because the Crank Angle codes (12 IIRC) will trigger in D-check when you turn Key On/Eng Off. But if the car will start, then your CAS and whole disty are likely fine.

The error code I'm receiving is the 1 long 1 short => crank angle sensor which is in the distributor correct? And the repair manual I've been using states when this component is faulty you have to replace the entire dizzy.

Also please see my other post regarding troubleshooting this issue.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100886

I have an ignition amplifier on the way thanks to 4x4_Welder. But I'm guessing this part will not solve my problem...Thus I'm beginning the search/research for a replacement dizzy.