Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just got my first Impreza the other day,It's a '95 wagon 2.2.Engine's good,tranny's bad.But I have a good tranny in an old Legacy I have.Unfortunately it's an automatic,I'd like to swap in a 5 speed but the auto is what I have and it'd be cheap so I guess that's what I'll do for now. What I'm wondering is for the people here with Imprezas,how do like them compared to the Legacy.I've not had one before so it's all new to me.I like the Legacys and I figured it'd be about the same.

I've had different Subarus,right now I have a '79 front wheel drive,'87 wagon,a '80 wagon,a broke down Legacy wagon and just got the Impreza the other day.I just didn't know anything about the Impreza's,seems like I see more Legacy's around but my brother has a Legacy wagon and I like it pretty well.I got the Impreza for $300 and already had the tranny to fix it so I thought why not,couldn't lose to much at that price.

I have/had EA81s , EA82s, 2 Imprezas and a Legacy... It all depends what you want.. I actually prefer the Imprezas..lighter and feel less lumbering.. I prefer the smaller more nimble cars. My 93 Impreza I probably would have liked more if it would have had the EJ22 instead of the EJ18.

I love my current Impreza but it cant count..too new..but when I got it I was actually in the market for an older one.

The Legacies have more room..but IMO are more 'boaty' feeling. Maybe if mine was a MT I would think different but for now..its a boat. The EJ22 though is such an easy motor to work on..and when in a smaller lighter car its quick and very fuel efficiant.

So in a nutshell..cruiser,boat, lots of room....Legacy.

smaller, lighter, more fun to drive,better gas mileage....Impreza

I have an 02 Impreza WRX and a 96 Legacy....granted the difference in size, mileage, and power I like them both for what they are...Obviously they were designed at different times and with different things in mind. I will say I think the older like around 2nd gen. Subarus where extremely comfortable compared to the newer ones....

I got a '00 2.5RS myself and love the snot out of it. Only issue I have had out of it is rotors warping and someone putting an aftermarket pressure plate in with a factory Exedy clutch. My first car was a 91 Legacy L and then I went to an 84 Hatch, to an 83 BRAT and then sold them all and my 97 Tacoma and paid cash for the RS. Still had a crap ton of cash left to spare.

The wife and I are seriously talking about trading it in for a WRX though.

She is a picture whore so here she is:

4579_107306178227_504113227_2853820_3782021_n.jpg

Edited by Durania

Say Kyle that car looks familiar :rolleyes:.

Kyle can attest to the die-hard attitude of the older Imprezas. All that shifter slop and STILL SHIFTING!!! hahaha.

I love mine. It's a '93 fwd 5spd. A little underpowered, but I'm getting 33-34mpg hwy (consider you COULD be driving an '08 2.5i with AWD and really it's kind of pitiful haha). The newer ones are far more aerodynamic, geared better for highway driving, and are interference. I will never buy one however. 44 cubic feet of cargo space? Kiss my A$$. The older Impreza wagons have 64 cubic feet of space. Roughly 45% more room than the new ones. But nothing beats the EA82, 74 cubic feet of cargo space.

My Impreza FEELS cheaply put together. Choppy ride, rattles, squeaks, creaks, bumps, and it doesn't feel like it handles well but feels great when pushed to the limit. But I will tell you this... this car has seen some air, some hard landings, and some ditches. But it just keeps taking it and keeps going. The things I do to my DD. :grin:

Yup I get 33 mpg out of my 08 2.5i Impreza AWD 5 spd. And I love the 170 HP its got to get itself out of its own way. Tons more passanger space. I will use my crpatastic lego for hauling .

EA82 wagons are the ultimate for hauling though :)

Base model legacy's aren't very nice but Legacy's have more options if you climb the model ladder. Talk about "float" the lower end legacy's aren't very nice to drive, like Connie I think is referring to by "boat".

The GT's, LSi's, and OBW's are way nicer than the lower end Legacy's. Handle well, nicely trimmed, leather, heated seats, power moon roofs, heated side view mirrors, all sorts of nice options and trims like that.

Impreza's handle very nicely, a small, light, short, and nimble car.

The impreza's don't have much upperward mobility in terms of trim and such. They tend to be not as nicely trimmed and have more of a "plastic" pieced together interior where the Legacy seems more solid and holds it's age better in the older models. I like Impreza's better than the lower end legacy's, but they don't have the niceties of the higher end Legacy's. So it just depends if you like that stuff or not. Personally I don't mind the rattling, noises, and looseness of the impreza's. Car noises don't bother me.

New Legacy's still have all sorts of options, accessories, H6 engine, VDC, etc that the impreza doesn't get.

The impreza's don't have much upperward mobility in terms of trim and such.

Yet again, this all depends on the level of Impreza that is purchased. If you bought a brighton, you got jack. No tach, crank windows, drum brakes, no ABS, un-painted door handles. My 2.5RS which was top of the line in its' day got all of those things. Dual piston front brakes, head gasket loving engine, disc brakes and ABS all around, power moonroof and windows, speed sensitive power steering, rear LSD, and even a sound and security system upgrade. Then in 2001 it got carbon fiber trimmed pieces around the console, granted I think they look goofy but some people may like the look. Of course I am comparing apples to oranges with the OP 95 Impreza L.

Say Kyle that car looks familiar :rolleyes:.

Kyle can attest to the die-hard attitude of the older Imprezas. All that shifter slop and STILL SHIFTING!!! hahaha.

I wonder where you seen it at? :rolleyes:

I just hope my head gaskets hold out for at least another year. Then she is getting sold to buy me a pignose WRX.

Base model legacy's aren't very nice but Legacy's have more options if you climb the model ladder. Talk about "float" the lower end legacy's aren't very nice to drive, like Connie I think is referring to by "boat".

The GT's, LSi's, and OBW's are way nicer than the lower end Legacy's. Handle well, nicely trimmed, leather, heated seats, power moon roofs, heated side view mirrors, all sorts of nice options and trims like that.

Impreza's handle very nicely, a small, light, short, and nimble car.

The impreza's don't have much upperward mobility in terms of trim and such. They tend to be not as nicely trimmed and have more of a "plastic" pieced together interior where the Legacy seems more solid and holds it's age better in the older models. I like Impreza's better than the lower end legacy's, but they don't have the niceties of the higher end Legacy's. So it just depends if you like that stuff or not. Personally I don't mind the rattling, noises, and looseness of the impreza's. Car noises don't bother me.

New Legacy's still have all sorts of options, accessories, H6 engine, VDC, etc that the impreza doesn't get.

Most of my driving in a Legacy has been in an Outback wagon,it was a nice driving car with lots of room(which was nice when you have kids)I'm hoping I like the Impreza as well,although it has less room.I guess it's a wagon but it's kind of a chopped off one I suppose. Edited by glh1975