Ultimate Subaru Message Board

well another one bites the dust

Yea just add another one to the scrap ea82T pile the worst peice of ************ to ever come from the brians of SOA. Son of a *************** it was running so good drove to seattle and back 2 times never got hot never made any strange noises and today go out take it to the store and KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK its the crank ************ ************ ************ ************ ************%^%$#@#$%^%$#@#$

END RANT!

Rob

*** disclaimer, I am not an EA82T fan.

in their defense, not that they deserve any, i'd bet my bank account the car was previously run hot or low on oil.

these engines have seen 20 years of abuse and frankly any EA82 vehicle is almost worthless in reality. when they start overheating many folks just keep adding water or drive it until it doesn't move any more. they're usually just buying something they can hardly afford much less actually repair anything - not a good fit for 20 year old car, more so for 20 year old turbo's.

these engines have seen 20 years of abuse and frankly any EA82 vehicle is almost worthless in reality. when they start overheating many folks just keep adding water or drive it until it doesn't move any more. they're usually just buying something they can hardly afford much less actually repair anything - not a good fit for 20 year old car, more so for 20 year old turbo's.

Typically that's the case. They are abused their entire life then expected to keep taking it. The engine design has major drawbacks that make it uneconomical to repair or modify. When they were new in the mid-80's though, they were fairly high-tech for their time. Unfortunately they fall under one of GD's rules to live by - "never buy the first generation of anything". The EA82 was the first production OHC for Subaru - then to top it off you add a primitive turbo system and a pathetic cooling system that's got no overhead built into it at all..... it was an experiment and they are lucky it didn't totally turn every buyer of an EA82T against Subaru for life.

The real problem is that they departed from the tried and true EA series pushrod engines and the engineering that went into the EA82/T was not well done. Subaru's second-string of engineer's built the EA82 by adapting an OHC and belt system to the EA81. They did not have the CAD design system that the EJ engineer's had (R&D on the EJ's began in '85 with Subaru's top engineering team). The EA82 is a kludge - a solution looking for a problem. There is nothing the EA82 design can do that the EA81 design couldn't do better already. They have been shown reliable to 200 HP with turbo/super charging - no EA82/T has topped that to my knowledge. It was merely a sales pitch - they could say they had OHC engines like their competition and they could claim a "new" design in their sales literature.

GD

Let me just say....If you start with crap, you end up with crap.

Plain and simple.

Start with a fresh engine, dont go nuts with it and you will have a reliable rig.

I have 137AWHP and 171TQ on stock internals.

All you haters can keep on hatin.

Plain and simple.

Start with a fresh engine, dont go nuts with it and you will have a reliable rig.

I'll gladly keep on hating the EA82T. :D

Just not yours. Unless I'm following it on my motorcycle. :(

Plain and simple.

Not hating at all Rob. I respect the fact that you have one of the reliable EA82Ts. You had to go through some crap to get there though right (as in not so good EA82Ts)?

That's the heart of it. By comparison though, the EA82T turns to crap sooner than any other Subaru engine. And the potential return for your investment isn't there - for the cost of a brand new EA82T and accessories I could have a good running phase II EJ22 putting out near the same power. Add a tiny bit of boost to it and I'm way out of the EA82T's league both in performance and reliability. There's a nice collection of folks that have run good condtion used EJ22's with 5 psi and flogged the hell out of them for a long time. The majority of them take it - and with replacement used EJ22's availible for typically around $200 to $400..... the economy Subaru turbo engine has a new name - and it's not the EA82T.

It's not that they can't be reliable Rob - it's that it's not worth it anymore. So much better is out there for the same money or less.

GD

Not hating at all Rob. I respect the fact that you have one of the reliable EA82Ts. You had to go through some crap to get there though right (as in not so good EA82Ts)?

It wasnt directed towards you.

I went thru 4 used engines before I finally got a clue and bought a CCR engine.

I'm actually thinking of building a EA82T with stronger internals, but need to save money up for that one.

It wasnt directed towards you.

I went thru 4 used engines before I finally got a clue and bought a CCR engine.

I'm actually thinking of building a EA82T with stronger internals, but need to save money up for that one.

Or go with an EJT like I was telling you.

At least I LEARNED from my kaboom EA82T days. Now I got the EJ22T:grin:

yes and it only took me doinf one EJ swap to find that i coudl go with out another ea82 T or not T so thats whats going to happen to the sedan :) EJ all the way and with it already 4x4 and 5 speed all i need to do is the harness and get an adapter ring for the trans.

Rob.