Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Proper procedure for bleeding PS system

95 impreza wagon awd 5sp 1.8l

What is the proper procedure for bleeding the ps pump after replacement.

also, should i totally recharge the whole system, or just add what is needed after install.

Also what kind of fluid would you all recommend for the PS?

thanx a bunch.

use whatever fluid the owners manual recommends. if you don't have one, get one, they're really helpful for fluids, capacities, etc. i think it's just ATF for almost all Subaru's.

as for bleeding it's a rather benign issue here. you're just replacing the pump, that's easy. just replace and refill it.

i just removed a pump from an EJ25 a couple weeks ago, i didn't even think about bleeding it. reinsatlled, refilled, perfect steering.

if you want to be all anal about it, turn it lock to lock, a few times.

i've done motor swaps, pulled out all the rack lines, swapped racks, etc and never had a problem with them. not much too it really i don't really ever remember doing much more than filling it up.

It's not a bad idea to "freshen up" the fluid on occasion--working on the pump would be a good time to do it. Just remove as much old fluid as you can (turkey baster, syphon or gravity) and replace with fresh, then do the lock-to-lock trick and top up.