Ultimate Subaru Message Board

E81 hatch vs. wagon

So I have been on a hunt for a rear fuel vapor canister so I can get my wagon smogged and on the road. I found someone with a hatch parts car from the same year, does anyone know if the vapor canister would be in the same place? (in the passenger side rear quater panel, I can access mine via removing the plastic cladding on that side.) I don't want to spend the day tearing up the back of someone else's parts car looking for one if it isn't there.

^ I had the same reaction. One of the nipples broke off and California smog laws say I have to have a functional EVAP system. Another board member in New Hampshire pulled one off a brat that looks exactly like mine, but I don't know how fast he will get it to me (he didn't seem to keen on doing it quickly when I asked.) I have been trying for a couple of weeks to get this thing smogged, and only have a couple more before I am supossed to take it on a long distance camping trip (burningman.) It needs a few things before I can take it out there, but it makes things difficult when I can't leagally drive it on the road. It is becoming rather fusterating. So the general consences is that the hatch version won't work with the wagon? Is there any junkyard hounds on the west coast that would go pull one for me? None of the local yards have one.

Where in the hell is this rear canister located?

I've taken out every other piece of emission crap in my wagon, so i don't see how it would hurt to pull this too. Help me find it, and it's all you.

FWIW, the PO used to have to smog, so it's more than likely functional. As well as Cali spec.

I can send it with the signal lens.

You are the man! The "vapor canister" is located in the rear quater panel on the passenger side. You have to remove the plastic "cladding" near the backside of the wheel well on the interior of the car. There is a bit of sound dampening material to pull away and it should be visable. Mine has three hoses attatched to it, a bracket, and is made out of plastic. If my description is too confusing, let me know and I will try and get a picture posted of it still in the car. Thank you to everyone who has been helping me on this!

I agree with Brian - plug the hoses - use a bolt and a small hose clamp on each of them. They would never look for this canister as it is behind interior molding and they would have to dismantle the car. No sense replacing it and having another nipple break off. Rip that crap out - if you are feeling really handy install a small pet-cock in the end of the lines and make it reasonably accessible - then you can open them back up so the system can vent properly after they test it.

GD

For all those keeping score...

I found a rear vapor canister from a later model Brat (somewhere between '84-'86) that was the same size. It was never a California car so the Brat was set up for Federal emmisions. My California emmisions 1982 GL wagon canister was a bit different, as some of the lines were plumbed for 1/4" (which is the reason the nipple broke in the first place) and the canister from the Brat was plumbed at 3/4". I am guessing this was done to fix the weak point of the earlier model canister. The big catch here is the hard lines in my car are also plumbed for 1/4" so I had to make some "adapters" in line to make it all work. I just got back from the smog place and I passed, so the Subaru is back on the road! Thanks again to everyone who has helped me out on this, I really appriciate it.