Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Cooling Improvements???

hey all,

so i've determined that my 23 year-old radiator -- from a FWD, carbureted '86 GL wagon -- is clogged and needs to be replaced. seeing as how this is reputed to be an easily clogged radiator, are there any easy upgrades i could make without overdoing it (e.g. making the car run TOO cool and damaging engine components)? my thoughts are getting a radiator that's meant for a turbo motor (the GL-10, or EA82T, that is, if they are in fact beefier than the non turbo ones), but maybe it's better to stick with what was slapped in by those ol' japanese engineers. they seemed to know what they were doing, for the most part. thoughts, anyone?

cheers,

ben

"maybe it's better to stick with what was slapped in by those ol' japanese engineers"

Mabie someone can help me out here. I'm thinking the Turbo and possibly factory AC EA-82 cars came with a dual core radiator.

If the EA-82T with AC came from the factory with a single core radiator, mabie Subaru's second string really did design it. No intercooler factory, that would have helped.

Hey, you didn't say which EA-82 you have.

Doug

heres how I have learned how to flush a car properly, now if any of you nazis say im going to crack a head doing this your wrong :) .

Take out the thermostat and replace the housing, disconnect the upper radiator hose from the radiator so that water can come out of it, and then fire up the engine, and using a hose at a moderate pace, keep the radiator full and monitor the ammount of water coming out of the engine, if its really really really slow to a trickle, you could have a waterpump thats impellers are gone. then do this until your water runs clear (note: this is after you have been running a flushing compound through it for some time). then replace the thermostat and filler up with a very nice either 50/50 to 65/35 coolant to water ratio. and drive on.

I strongly suggest upgrading to a dual-core radiator for your car.

If you are going to go the flushing route. Frank B suggested to me that I buy a garden hose replacement fitting, they are both 5/8. I took his advice and it did wonders for all the stuff that was flushed out. Here is what you will need to get:

pic_L199_1012.jpg

from what i have herd back in the day the way you get a dual core from subaru is have them replace the radiator under warranty when it was new then because it over heated, its a mixed bag on what you find in the junk yard but i havent found any good dual cores. there are alot of aftermarket dual cores you can buy now though so it shouldnt be a problem.

my car is MPFI turbo with A/C and it appears to be single core.

i would like some high detailed pics of both single and dual cored rads with mabe some measurements where the fins meet the tank so we can get a good idea of what to look for.

the only reason i know one car i found in the junkyar was dual core was because the radiator fan chopped it in such a way you could see both rows, aside from that i couldnt tell the difference nor could i get good measurements (it was a mess)

the radiator is definitely not the weak link. a clogged Ea82 radiator will keep an EJ22 cool all year long, with only occasional fan use.

IMHO, the best upgrade you can do, is an all-metal one. http://www.performanceradiator.com makes one for EA82s thats very nice. had one in my loyale for a few years.

beyond that, just take care of it. if you maintain the system well, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Edited by Numbchux

IMHO, the best upgrade you can do, is an all-metal one. www.performanceradiators.com makes one for EA82s thats very nice. had one in my loyale for a few years.

I have an EA-82T wagon that the previous owner blew the engine on. Had a "NEW" single core, plastic/aluminum radiator in the car.

When it went, it took out the radiator. Blew it apart at the plastic/aluminum seam on the drivers side. I don't think that would happen as easily with a metal radiator, so that's something to consider when making a choice.

I've had two blown EA-82T that came to me with single cores. Both were full of rusty ugly coolant and ruined.

Doug

Edited by Quidam

the radiator is definitely not the weak link. a clogged Ea82 radiator will keep an EJ22 cool all year long, with only occasional fan use.

IMHO, the best upgrade you can do, is an all-metal one. http://www.performanceradiators.com makes one for EA82s thats very nice. had one in my loyale for a few years.

beyond that, just take care of it. if you maintain the system well, you shouldn't have any problems at all.

that link es no bueno, Chux.