Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake manifold gaskets on ea82, 93 loyale

I have a small coolant leak at the intake manifold gasket. I have purchased the gaskets and I am going to get sarted on it soon.(today)

Do you guys have any do's and don'ts for this particular job. Any thing I should be watching out for? It seems preety straight forward. Am I going to have to remove the TB completely or can I get away with leaving it attatched to the manifold? Looking for a few pointers.

I also am about to replace the valve cover gaskets and the oil pan gasket.

I have been leaking to much oil for my liking.

thanks in advance.

Agreed - use Subaru gaskets, they're much better quality.

The hard part is removing all the old nasty caked on gasket. If it weren't for that you could litterally unbolt the manifold, slide the old out, the new one in and be done in no time.

But...as it is, the old gasket will take all of your time. You'll need to make room to clean it off really good.

Straight forward job. Not sure how your motor will be but on XT's it's nice to have an extendable magnet, that allows you to extract the loose bolts and install them as well, there's a couple that are really tight. that might only be with the spider manifolds though and it's not a big deal.

Agreed - use Subaru gaskets, they're much better quality.

I deffinately did buy my gaskets from the dealer! I learned that lesson a long time ago. I try to buy only dealer parts, unless the cost is way out of line.

The hard part is removing all the old nasty caked on gasket. If it weren't for that you could litterally unbolt the manifold, slide the old out, the new one in and be done in no time.

But...as it is, the old gasket will take all of your time. You'll need to make room to clean it off really good.

Straight forward job. Not sure how your motor will be but on XT's it's nice to have an extendable magnet, that allows you to extract the loose bolts and install them as well, there's a couple that are really tight. that might only be with the spider manifolds though and it's not a big deal.

It seems as you say, straight forward. I don't think I'll need a magnet, though they can come in handy. I was mostly just wondering about the TB. I didn't want to have to buy the TB Gasket, if I could avoid it.