Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 oil preference?

Here is my statement. Don't over exaggerate the question. Oil science aside, here are my results

I run CASTROL GTX 5w-30. Texas heat has no need for 10w-40. I use/leak about 1 quart of oil between oil changes.

I did a change ONCE with Valvoline 5w-30 (on sale :( ). I used 3 quarts in 3k miles.

I will stick with GTX from now on.

Simple question, simple answer...

Actually, the hotter the temps, the thicker the oil you want.

It could reduce the amount of oil you lose as well.

Twitch

ok i must give an example of why synthetic isnt really for EA's

S7301783.JPG

i made the Subaru suffer earlier that day by parking it in the street and making it watch as i clay bared and buffed the Datsun.

this is a good enough reason to not use synthetic in my Subaru, i only use synthetic in the Datsun when its going to be pushed harder, seemes to keep things going/quiter/cleaner oil when i am pushing it alot at the track or on the prowl up the abandoned roads for honduhs.

and yea twich is right, your probally loosing alot more oil when it hotter because its thining up and making it out the leak sources, my leaking slowed when i went to 30w but when its cold it just seems to push it out easier till it warms some

I was following the above 30*, over 100* recommendation in the manual, so should I run 10w-40 or 20w-50? I ran 20w-50 in my aircooled vdub when i had it.

I have a new rear main, and valve cover gaskets, I am still leaking oil from the front seal (slow) and case seal... not tearing into for that one. I am soon to swap a EA82t JDM 35k engine if all goes as planned.:banana:

Also, I never had any luck with Quaker State. Penzoil eats valve seals (high detergent levels)

I've been told all my life that changing brands is a bad idea.

My first car had used penzoil the first 100k.

I did a change with quaker state and it used oil and smoked from that day on.

My wifes first car when we met had only used quaker state and never a single problem.

Engine never used a drop and was clean as a pin.

I think maybe the different additive packages between certain brands just don't mix well not that the certain brand is poor quality.

Someone told you a load of crap, then.

I've been told all my life that changing brands is a bad idea.

My first car had used penzoil the first 100k.

I did a change with quaker state and it used oil and smoked from that day on.

My wifes first car when we met had only used quaker state and never a single problem.

Engine never used a drop and was clean as a pin.

I think maybe the different additive packages between certain brands just don't mix well not that the certain brand is poor quality.

what are the odds that durring this first 100k that this penzoil was parafin wax based oil?

what are the odds that durring this first 100k that this penzoil was parafin wax based oil?

It was a 75 model car and I bought it in 87 so maybe, I don't know.

As far as being told changing brands was a bad idea goes I've had experience both ways.

That first car of mine certainly had oil issues after changing brands.

I've had others with no issues at all with god only knows how many different

brands in them.

you make it sound like the village bicycle

The toyota I bought had reciepts in the glove box from a half dozen different quick lube places.

Penzoil,Valvoline,Castrol etc.

The lady I bought it from was pretty religous about oil change intervals but certainly didn't care what brand was used.

Most all motor oils, even the Walmart and equivalent brands are pretty good quality now days.