Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is a 1980 Brat with 64000 miles a good buy?

Hi. I found your forum as I was researching a 1980 Subaru Brat for sale. I don't have a lot of details on this specific vehicle, yet, but thought I'd ask some experts if something this old is really worth it for a non-mechanic. Any opinions? I've been shopping for an older Subaru (Ideally had wanted a 90's Impreza wagon but haven't found one in my area, yet) when I spotted this Brat. Hadn't known they existed before and just not sure something discontinued would be realistic in general for someone like myself to properly fix and maintain.

I'm considering the Brat purchase just because the owner only wants $2000, has put some work into it like a new windshield and paint job, he says it only has 64,000 miles (not clear if those are original or not, yet), it would be a vehicle that I could haul stuff in and so a decent compliment to my little compact for now and because it looks cute and fun. But before I waste his time with a dozen questions I thought I'd better figure out if I could even realistically find a shop to service this baby and/or find correct parts when needed.

I'd appreciate any sort of opinions or general feedback concerning owning a Brat, other's experience with owning Brats, cost of keeping one up, etc. I'm not afraid to get dirty and to learn a thing or two about my car but I'm no mechanic that's for sure. If it helps, I would not be wanting this for any off-roading but rather to finish restoring to a nice street machine. It would be a daily driver and vehicle to haul stuff like furniture purchases (maybe my kayak, too, occasionally but not sure this bed will be long enough).

Thanks for any replies,

Laura

In my experience, working on the older generation of Subarus is actually pretty easy, especially for myself, having very little experience.

That is a very low number of miles for an '80 Brat, and if the odometer hasn't been screwed around with, it's pretty impressive.

Something you really want to look for before buying the Brat is rust. Rust is a Subaru's worst enemy. Check around the fenders, bottoms of the doors, and of course the floorpan. Bad rust means a lot of body work that you may not feel prepared to do.

If you do buy the Brat, stick around the forum. It's one of the best resources you'll find if you run into any issues or have questions.

Show us some pictures!

I learned way more working on my '82 wagon (essentially the same as a brat mechanically) than I ever did in Autoshop in highschool. Also having this forum as a resource is wonderful too. The brats are good little cars, fairly economical and can really take a beating. I'd say go for it if there isn't any major rust issues.

I bought an 80 Brat with some serious rust issues, and its still one of the best buys I ever made! I did a few little mods to mine because its what I do, but I still get great gas mileage, has more than enough power for what I do, and it can go almost anywhere on or off road. Mine has horrible rust everywhere but the doors and hood, but the drivetrain is in excellent shape and it runs like a top. They are quite easy to work on, and are overall fun little rigs.

-Bill

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I may have spent too much time researching and missed out on the Brat but I'm still looking to buy an older Subaru period.

In general, do you find the various parts needed for older Subaru's are fairly easy to come by? Like can I find a lot of what I need at someplace like Autozone or will it take scouring eBay and the like?

Since it's looking like the Brat may be sold, I'm thinking of test driving this wagon: http://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/1336813797.html

It's only FWD, though, and I really wanted AWD.

Laura

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time to reply. I think I may have spent too much time researching and missed out on the Brat but I'm still looking to buy an older Subaru period.

In general, do you find the various parts needed for older Subaru's are fairly easy to come by? Like can I find a lot of what I need at someplace like Autozone or will it take scouring eBay and the like?

Since it's looking like the Brat may be sold, I'm thinking of test driving this wagon: http://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/1336813797.html

It's only FWD, though, and I really wanted AWD.

Laura

Well first off, I think that legacy you posted is AWD. I don't think Subaru was offering anything less than AWD on all of their cars by 1992. The learning curve for "fix it yourself" will go up a bit for the Legacy. The older generation of Subarus are much more simple and almost everything is easy to get to. Finding parts for the older Subarus can be hit or miss. I have noticed some of the parts for my '82 are starting to get a bit scarce (although I do live in California, and the junkyards don't hold onto anything that old anymore.) I have found what I need from other members on this board, so they are out there if you do a little hunting. Everything else I have found at the local parts stores here in town. If the don't have it, they have been able to order it for the most part. Good luck with your Subaru hunt!

Well first off, I think that legacy you posted is AWD. I don't think Subaru was offering anything less than AWD on all of their cars by 1992.

You could still get a FWD subaru up until 95 i believe. I had a friend who had a 95 impreza...FWD. That leg is could be either though but since they dont mention it in the ad i would guess its fwd as well.

Yeah, according to the various car web sites (kbb, edmunds, etc) the legacy could be either FWD or AWD. Was hoping it was AWD but the owner says he's "almost positive it's FWD" so I'm guessing it really is FWD. Think I should hold out for an AWD? :)

Going for a test drive this Friday since no one's gotten back to me on the Brat (bummer! I agree with the girl-driving-a-Brat opinion)

Yeah, according to the various car web sites (kbb, edmunds, etc) the legacy could be either FWD or AWD. Was hoping it was AWD but the owner says he's "almost positive it's FWD" so I'm guessing it really is FWD. Think I should hold out for an AWD? :)

Going for a test drive this Friday since no one's gotten back to me on the Brat (bummer! I agree with the girl-driving-a-Brat opinion)

I would hold out for the AWD, if that is truly what you want.

If your really want AWD you should keep looking but if your hesitant because of how well it does in the snow...fwd does just fine. Ive never had an awd or 4wd and i have never had a problem in the winter that i couldn't get out of. Granted AWD is better but just throwing that out there.

I have AWD in my Galant and I love it. I think it is worth the wait, especially if you already have your mind set on getting a car with it. The only downside I have encountered with AWD is you should replace all the tires when they go bad, which can get pricey, but that's not enough for me to give it up.

If your really want AWD you should keep looking but if your hesitant because of how well it does in the snow...fwd does just fine. Ive never had an awd or 4wd and i have never had a problem in the winter that i couldn't get out of. Granted AWD is better but just throwing that out there.

I hear you and that's good to know about snow. I guess I'm feeling impatient and should just relax. I just have these two new teen drivers at home so I'm feeling a little more pressure to bring home a second car and really want it to be a Subaru. The best cars are usually out of my price range, though.

I'm really happy to have found such an active forum, thank you!!

laura

Given your skill level, I'll tell you right now you need to stick to 1990 and newer, no Loyale's, and no XT6's. That legacy you posted would be an excelent choice.

Brat's, I'm afaid, are well outside the bounds of what you are looking for. Parts are not availible for the most part, and there are few auto shops out there that are willing or capable of working on them effectively.

Stick to the 90 through 94 Legacy, or the first generation Impreza. Parts are everywhere, and just about any place can work on them.

GD

since you're interested in a daily driver and it appears you live in flatland, FWD would be just fine, (this coming from a 4WD/AWD lover).

technically it would be cheaper and easier to maintain. no ujoints, driveshaft, carrier bearings, rear differential, rear diff oil, rear axles, transfer clutches, duty C solenoid, (or viscous center in a manual trans), and AWD tires need to match, be properly inflated and rotated properly to prevent excessive stress on 4WD components, and never, ever improperly tow a AWD Subaru.....see what i mean? bottom line - FWD has less stuff to go wrong. search for "torque bind", AWD Subaru's experience problems that FWD does not have, FWD has far fewer components/parts to fail.

if you have significant snow concerns frankly i'd rather have a dedicated set of studded snow tires than 4WD. frankly, for older subarus, tires are important for traction. most folks buying 20 year old subaru's aren't running quality or new tires (and i'm talking about myself back in the day:lol::rolleyes:).

Edited by grossgary