Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t it needs more power

I thought i was bad... so you have a 1988 GL10 that someone swapped in a legacy transmission? IIRC the RX awd is D/R 3.7 with diff lock or S/R 3.7 no diff lock im pretty shure that was the only options but you dont have an RX so eather you have...

A. single range 3.7 (NOT AWD)

OR

B. somone put a legacy AWD trans in.

if you do have the lego trans you are half way to the ej swap because someone already used an adapter plate haha :).

I'm shure if i am mistaken someone will help out but thats my understanding.

Rob.

you sure some one didnt take a '90 trans and put it in there?

i'm not talkin legacy either but usually when some one comes on and says they have AWD a bunch of people are quick to correct them. i was one of those untill i said i had a '90 turbo wagon with a 1st hold button for the 4eat in it.

mabe people here are wrong though and more of these wagons exist over other years

but i say take a pic of the dash, that'll be the sure fire way to tell.

if people swap they generally dont swap the cluster and it's different on full time models

88 and 89 GL turbo's were often equipped with the Full Time 4WD single range 5 speed with diff lock or the Full Time 4WD 4EAT automatic.

It is NOT AWD - it is FT4WD - there is no VC, only a center diff (lockable for true 4WD in the 5 speed). If you hang one wheel off a ciff you will be stuck unless you lock the diff. Not so with AWD - hang a wheel out over a cliff (or several) and you will still drive away without locking anything.

XT6's got a similar transmission but in 3.9 final drive.

GD

Originally Posted by WJM

SUBARU Master Technician Join Date: Jan 2002

Re: EA82T, Easy 130-140hp? (not asking for directions)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------from jwm

EA82T ftw.

I've had mine that fast.

Easy.

I had one that was putting out 240 CRANK hp and 320 CRANK tq for a LONG time. No problems. That engine still lives today after 40k+ street miles, a day at the road course, over 100 autox's and a few mountian runs.

& more from this user

Re: EA82T, Easy 130-140hp? (not asking for directions)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by beataru

Thats All I read in that sentence... are you for real??????????????????????????? and what mods, please say none internally!

Header, turbo back, STI TMIC, intake, 14 PSI of boost.

I was running dry ice with sprayers so ice cold

With a Air / Fuel Ratio Gauge I will be able to tune it in

Sell your subaru to a real subaru nut who will de-rice it and give it a good home,

1. Buy a civic,

2. buy a STOCK Integra LS B18a block with stock internals,

3. bolt a B16a head on it,

4. bolt a t3/4 turbo on it, set the wastegate to "14" PSI

5. run an untuned hondata s300 with junkyard DSM 450cc injectors

6. bolt it into the civic to a stock transmission

7. BLOW UP A CAR WE DONT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT!!! Rice out a car that nobody cares about, not a GL-10.

Nobody cares how much "power" you have gotten from a EA82T at "14" PSI. If you are that bent on attaining power, please just stuff a ej257 in it an just leave it alone, instant power... NO BLOWN EA82t's. JEEEEZZZZ!!!!!

My rant is done....:mad:

grrr good thing this board hasnt gone to an autmoatic infraction system where a script on the server deems weither or not your posts viloate any thing and auto ban you for the rest of the day like they started at hybrid z.

i think we'd all be ************ed

Ok, I hit fuel cut on a stock EA82T. It's not hard. Cooling has nothing to do with it.

The MAF only flows enough air to support 115-120hp, more and -you guessed it- the computer flips out and stops giving it fuel.

Not to mention that with the archaic PCV system of the EA82T, you WILL pop your rear main seal out. Ask me how I know this-

BTW, you stated the reason you kept up with the WRX- He didn't know you were there. It's hard to race an unknown opponent, he probably realized you were there at about 70mph, waited for the lag to go away and left you in the dust before you could hit 80.

Also, I'd like a clarification on your "dry ice sprayers"- How do you spray dry ice? Do you shoot the Co2 straight into your intake? Do you use it to chill water to -109º?

Ok, I hit fuel cut on a stock EA82T. It's not hard. Cooling has nothing to do with it.

The MAF only flows enough air to support 115-120hp, more and -you guessed it- the computer flips out and stops giving it fuel.

Not to mention that with the archaic PCV system of the EA82T, you WILL pop your rear main seal out. Ask me how I know this-

BTW, you stated the reason you kept up with the WRX- He didn't know you were there. It's hard to race an unknown opponent, he probably realized you were there at about 70mph, waited for the lag to go away and left you in the dust before you could hit 80.

Also, I'd like a clarification on your "dry ice sprayers"- How do you spray dry ice? Do you shoot the Co2 straight into your intake? Do you use it to chill water to -109º?

Well first off I have hit I hit fuel cut but I don’t any more after I put the new intercooler on

The archaic PCV system it’s fixed I am not boosting the crank case

The dry ice was on the center of the intercooler

The water sprayers going on the sides

& no the co2 off the ice is not going in the intake

& that would be called ice at that timp

o and this is not a stock EA82T

2 1/2 Mandrel Bend Exhaust

this is the link to the intercooler

http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CXR&Product_Code=IC004-BOV017-FLANGE-Y-PIPE&Category_Code=ICKSB

Edited by AWD TURBO!

I will chime in! It is easy to see how this thread started to derail.

Can you post any pics of your car? Engine bay pics would be nice.

Is anyone here near the poster? Could you perhaps try to give him some face-to-face guidance or get some input from him face-to-face? You never know what you can find from a fresh mind and face that is doing the same things some of us have already done.

I still like the EA82T ONLY because I have had positive experience with gaining hp/torque from it. Never got a chance to raise the boost on it but it ran great until the suspension rusted itself to death. Without turning up the boost, power gains were about 35whp if I remember correctly, or damn close.

AWD Turbo.....all I can recommend for now is to IMMEDIATELY turn down your boost to stock psi. Invest in some gauges to monitor your exhaust gas temperature and air/fuel ratio (Mainly the temperature). Be sure things are 'cool' and slowly turn up your boost in increments of 1-2psi, while monitoring exhaust gas temperature.

Edited by Myxalplyx

Well thanks 4 the input but the motor that is in it now has been rebuilt

It does 15 psi w/o ping or fuel cut I am using 92 with octane buster

I know but I am not going to turn down my boost the motor is 10 mo old

The new one is on the stand waiting 4 its turn

The egt would be good thing to put back in

The top egt I have had was 700f

This was the one that had the bad lifters

& the picks I will try to find my camera & post them win I do

My daughter put it some ware can’t find it

i use this as my toy!

Edited by AWD TURBO!

[url=http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27730][/url]

Um....So the grey one is the car?

I'd be focusing more on the exterior of the vehicle then absolute performance bud. To be honest, it looks pretty whorey.

Why I am not in it 4 looks & do you see the toyota i use this as my play toy!

The red one "was" the parts car

[ATTACH]6830[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6831[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6833[/ATTACH]

i found a good post on How much power can EA82T stand

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=27730

Edited by AWD TURBO!