Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new 1981 brat!!!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that it's back up for sale. Missing the gas pedal...? Are they pure rubber, or is there a metal core? If it's just pure rubber, I might be able to mold you up an exact replica for the price of the silicone.

-Ben

No they are plastic....and very hard to come by.

No they are plastic....and very hard to come by.

I took a look at mine today. It would have been be pretty easy, except for the fact that the hinge is made of flexing plastic. I doubt that anything that can be cast-molded at home would hold up in that scenario.

To make one that would work, my first thought would be to use a stiff, more rubber-like casting compound (like a hard shoe sole), fill in the "hollow with ridges" part, and put a stainless steel hinge at the bottom. Probably not worth the effort unless several people needed them (unlikely). There would most likely be quite a bit of trial and error to get it right with some rejects.

Oh well... thought it would be easier...

-Ben

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmmm, I just got a call from the guy I sold it to and the BRAT overheated on him. He took it to a mechanic and they said the the passenger head gasket blew. Only one of 2 things could have happened, 1 I got a faulty head gasket or 2 my torque wrench is way off.

Anyone else have any ideas?

I surely don't have all the experience some of you guys do with these engines, but I do have some. There are a couple things that could have happened IMO. Probably the most likely is a bad gasket, or he was trying "to see what it could do" too soon. Also could have possibly been a sticking thermostat and it got too hot. I don't think it's your torque wrench!

So the guy I sold the BRAT to blew up the motor on the way to the coast. :-\

I'm not sure what he did, but I felt bad for the guy and now I'm going over there to deliver on of the motors I had sitting in my garage. It sucks 'cause it's a hydro lift EA81 that I'm getting rid of. I had big plans for the motor, but I gots to help a brother out. I'm getting the motor out of the BRAT back so I can tear it down and see what the hell happened.

What I think happened was that he was going over the pass and really rapping out the RPMs then the thing stated to over heat and he continued to limp the thing to the coast. :confused:

Well I dropped off the new motor today, but they didn't have the other one out yet. The guy I sold it to said that they had already stared pulling the motor. The shop was very snotty with me and said that they will not have it finished till the end of next week. I can't really figure out why it would take them so long, I could swap a motor in and out in a day. At this point I'm not sure if I'll get the old motor back or not, if I don't get it back then I smell something shady here. :-\

• 1 month later...