Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok so im lookin at a justy

well i no longer have any subarus just my 89 4runner. im tired of the gas mileage but put so much work into it i cant part with with. while out with some friends i spotted a old justy sitting in a field with weeds growing all around it. i asked the guy if he was interested in selling and he said just get it out of here 100 bucks. i asked him what was wrong and he said waterpump went out. when i looked inside there were a couple jugs of coolant and such so basically i was just curious if these are harder to work on than boxers or if the hg's are temperamental. it has either 109 or 209xxx probably 109 and is in ok shape. it is 2dr 5spd 4x4, i guess if there were 1st and 2nd gen justys it would be 2nd gen. does anyone have a picture of their engine bay i could look at?

1st gens are usually carbed, 2nd are generally MPFI.

1st gens have square sealed beams and 2nd gens have halogen bulbs and plastic (i think) housings

i'm looking at one too, i think its a 1st gen but the craigslist ad is cryptic.

$100, i say go for it, they do not have a traditional type of waterpump though, i noticed it when researching.

its recessed into the front of the case and has a cap on it with an impeller inside, kinda funky.

to me it looks like half an H6 motor with a smaller bore and some funkyness on the front of the case, i havent seen much about blown head gaskets at all except they get old and blow some times. like what cars do after they get old.

if you do a search on you tube you find alot of justy destruction vids, they seem to take alot of punishment, being burried for 6 years and startin up. that sort of thing.

generally the ones blowing up on you tube take a long time at red line before they fail, almost as if they over heat and the heat causes the failure instead of internal strain of spinning at 9000 rpm

i'm checkin one out too, $150, some assembly required, 4x4.

i belive its an 88 but like i said before its a cryptic ad, 4x4 just means its for sure not an 87 (no 4x4 87 here)

ECVT's are a mixed bag, its nice when they work but are finicky (like no moving when slightly low on fluid) and often arent a major part to replace to get em to work but are just a pain in the rump roast all arround from what i have read....incase you find an ECVT one

The Justy engine's suffer from a specific oil pump failure that limits their ability to go for a ton of miles without a rebuild. They are also transverse engine cars like a Honda.... yuck.

I stear clear of them personally.

GD

Good more for the rest of us :P

nipper

haha thanks guys i think i might take my chances, now if only i can find a truck and flatbed..... oh yeah and whats with the 4x100 bolt pattern? isnt that was old vdubs use? im gonna put some teardrops on it :lol:

I think lots of Honduhs use 4x100mm too.

haha thanks guys i think i might take my chances, now if only i can find a truck and flatbed..... oh yeah and whats with the 4x100 bolt pattern? isnt that was old vdubs use? im gonna put some teardrops on it :lol:

yep, but look at those wells though, sure theyre big enough?

also why not try one of those cau haulers from u-haul?

kinda spendy at $40 a day here but its better than trying to push a dead card UP in top of something like a flat bed, besure to bring your straps

edit:

i forgot to say i havent found much on the oil pump other than it needs work on em like most subarus

Edited by Niku-Sama

do you have a justy nipper? or anyone who responded? im just curious if they are slow as piss or not

Ive been looking for one, and pay no attention to GD, hes just jelouse.

Go to that site i posted. Justys actually had a fairly high hp/weight ratio for that size car. They arent too bad to own, engines are easy to rebuild. The only part that is getting hard to find are struts. Fuel injected is prefered over carbed. Also the auto CVTs have a an achillies heel, which is not too hard to fix. Its usually the brushes for the electric clutch that doom those things.

nipper

Ive been looking for one, and pay no attention to GD, hes just jelouse.

I just can't get past the look of the things. I guess I just don't think I would fit in one without looking like a complete fool - I'm 6' 2" and 225 lbs.... I think it would look like a circus car on me :-\.

But I think they have potential - especially with the 4WD. ECVT are to be avoided I would think and as long as you rebuild the engine properly.... I heard the oil pumps were getting hard to find as well....

GD

did i say oil pump was bad? whoops i might have had a few too many yesterday. its the waterpump. or was it the oil pump :confused: guess ill figure it out. im pretty sure its efi when did they switch on the justys from carbed? and thanks nipper i will look at that site but when im on here i feel like a subaru owner, not a justy owner :eek: all im really gonna get it for is snowboarding this season

I just can't get past the look of the things. I guess I just don't think I would fit in one without looking like a complete fool - I'm 6' 2" and 225 lbs.... I think it would look like a circus car on me :-\.

GD

you would look like the tall guy that drives the vwbug from the old simpsons episode "tall tales" :grin:

did i say oil pump was bad? whoops i might have had a few too many yesterday. its the waterpump. or was it the oil pump :confused: guess ill figure it out. im pretty sure its efi when did they switch on the justys from carbed? and thanks nipper i will look at that site but when im on here i feel like a subaru owner, not a justy owner :eek: all im really gonna get it for is snowboarding this season

90 i think, not too sure on that.

i'm 6'6" and i fit well enough to drive and to bail out easily if needed, and yea they are a light weight car for the ammount of power they put down. a little more is always preferable, i wouldnt want much over 100Hp in something like that any way because it is so lite (and squishable)

the one i am looking at i am thinkin had a carb problem and if its not fixable i'm probally going to convert it to a single side draft SU carb drom a early Datsun Z car, quick fab of a intake manifold from some pipes and flanges (cheap wirewelder can handle that) and strap it on and hook it up and tune it. but it could be a ok any way and something else

i dont know if it shares an engine, it doesent look like it but it might.

some of the justys in other countries were the same as the geo metro we got here in the early 90's, suzuki something i cant remember the name.

kinda a similar thing going on here with metros, rebranding of another car

edit:

is this you?

http://subarujusty.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=memberjustys&action=display&thread=2760

Edited by Niku-Sama

some of the justys in other countries were the same as the geo metro we got here in the early 90's, suzuki something i cant remember the name.

Suzuki Swift, IIRC. FWIW, I don't remember ever seeing the Justy body on anything other than the Justy as we know it outside of the US, but I do seem to recall that Subaru bought the engine in from someone else. Just not sure if it was Suzuki or not; for some reason Daihatsu is sticking in my head. Having said that, there's a good chance that's not right as Daihatsu is assembling the current-generation Justy for the rest of the world and I may be confusing the two.