Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 GL high beams, wiper etc

The high beams, wipers, accessory outlet and heater blower on my 84 GL stopped working. Anyone know if all of these are linked to a single relay? They all stopped at once. Fuses all are good. Funny thing is, the high beams still work if I hold them in between high and low on the stick. Strange....

Well - appearances can be deceiving - check them for continuity and make sure the connections are clean and tight at each one.

Beyond that - there isn't anything that is very common to those systems according to the diagrams in my FSM - maybe they have some common grounding points in the harness but their power supplies are not related. If the fuses are all glood in the fuse panel I would check the ignition switch harness under the column as those tend to get burnt and have problems. Bench testing the ignition switch would be a good idea. I would start checking the harness grounding points for corrosion as it sounds like you aren't passing enough current to close relay's but still enough to power some circuits. The ciggarette lighter outlet is prone to corrosion and loose connections so it may or may not be related.

GD

• 1 year later...

You guys were absolutely correct. The ignition switch was suffering from corrosion. After a proper cleaning the wipers (front and back) the heater blower and the cigarette outlet all work! :banana:

Now bring on the dark snowy days!