Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose

After finally getting the 3spd 4wd AT swapped into my Turbo Coupe, I took it out for a test drive. Everything went ok, just a little slow to shift into 3rd. Got back and checked the fluids, all ok. Waited a while then decided to go again, this time a little more aggressively. Wouldnt go into 3rd at all. !@#$%^&. Came back to the house and checked everything again. Let it sit for almost an hour, jumped in and took off down the road, normal driving. This time it started grinding, bad. 1/2mi from the house, I really dont want to push. Turned it around and limped it back in 1st gear. It took me 3 months to do the swap (bad back, remember). There might be someone interested in buying it and having the 5spd D/R put in. You all certainly know what I'm hoping for. I do have the old tranny, which is good. Its just the diff thats bad. I can swap diffs and will probably be good, but its more work than I want to do right now. Well, theres my rant for the week:D

Rob

Did it go CLUNKA CLUNKA RRRRRRRRKKKKK CLUNKA CLUNCK CLUNK? Cause thats what my turbo wagon did before I did my 5spd d/r swap. When we took the auto out the oil was burned had metal chunks in it and the little rod in the front of the tranny was all twisted and stuff. It wouldn't go past 1st gear and would only go about 4 miles an hour. Just wondering if thats what was happening too?