Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hatchback pop-out window latch REPRODUCTION run! *updated - installed!*

So hopefully I have your attention if you own an EA81 Hatchback (1980 to 1989).

These rear window latches are a troublesome deal. Pretty much your choices before now were to try and find/beg/borrow/steal a good set - since you can't buy them through Subaru, or shut the rear windows forever with silicone, etc. Used latches rarely last more than a year or two it seems - even if you don't use them :rolleyes:. In trying to keep my rear windows working I've gone through half a dozen latch's in like three years time :mad:.

The problem:

http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/hatchlatch1.jpg

I asked another member here (lostinthe202) whom I am aquianted with, and who does machine work on some fancy equipment for his real job, to make up new handles from Aluminium.

The solution:

newlatch1.jpg

newlatch2.jpg

newlatch3.jpg

newlatch4.jpg

In addition to my set, he is making more for sale to board members - here is his post with the details:

http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113869

This will likely be your ONLY shot at getting a set. He has the ability to make these RIGHT NOW and that could change in the future - I highly sugest anyone with a hatch keep this in mind and order a set now as this could be the only run of these that he makes.

This is not the "for sale" post so direct any questions you have regarding purchase and options to Will in the for sale section. This post is to get the word out there and to show off my shiny new latches with pictures of the install, etc. :grin:. *I* am not selling these so don't PM me! I am merely endorsing them and provided the core samples for their reproduction.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

• 2 weeks later...

Ok boys and girls, if you own a hatch, or even suspect you may own a hatch in the future, YOU NEED TO DO THIS!

It took me all of 20 minutes to take my old ones out, drive the pins out, and put the new ones together and in. They are spectacular. :banana:

Also, you can just snip the corners off of the spring and it will fit fine. No need to round it, as it won't be seen anyway.

One tidbit of advice I hadn't seen mentioned; There is slight adjustment in the original attaching hardware. Mine were sticking out a little far until I noticed if you shove brace on the glass all the way forward (or down, or both) before you tighten the screw, it tucks things in nice and pretty where they belong. It's not much movement, but it makes a big difference as to how things look when latched.

Good job Will! Thanks for the effort.

Dan

Edited by BEECHBM69

I used to tie mine with a shoelace. LOL. It does rock when you need in, just to slip your pocket knife in there and unlock the caddy corner door with a broom handle, but my A/C worked :banana:

If I only still had my hatch :-\ That aluminum is SEXAY