Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Factory Subaru synthetic fluid manufacturer

the dealer in my town is rather small and new (One mechanic) also, they don' t have a bottle of the syn ATF on hand nor any other literature concerning it..the changes are all to new for them and probably will not have any atf for some time, since the 2007 subi's call for 100,000mi/160,000kil. fluid changes

My vote is Castrol.

I'll ask my dealer...

you can't even check the ATF level without going to the dealer.
HA! BS! if someone else can do it, I can do it. i'm not up to date on this stuff but the "sealed" units aren't typically automatic transmission fluid related i don't think, i think it's other internal bits - like a manual trans center diff that may be sealed. but again i'm not up to date on the latest and greatest out there and am unsure what you're talking about. but...if they can do it at the dealer, it can be done elsewhere.

i stopped in and asked the dealer in atlanta what synthetic fluid they used in their LSD's and they showed me their stash of yellow Penzoil bottles just like you buy in the store.

why would you want to know this? it seems like it's on par with asking what brand gasoline the dealer uses.

No they are not sealed, same dip stick and external filter which needs to be changed at the same time as the tranny fluid

Has Subaru gone to a "sealed" auto tranny like many other manufacturers have? I've seen them on Ford, VW and Chrysler products - you can't even check the ATF level without going to the dealer.

I can't answer your question of "why" I would like to know concerning the ATF without going into a long story.....But I do have a few words concerning Penzoil and what you saw..if that is what the dealer was putting in the customers cars, I can only hope that the people gave the OK to use this product and are informed..it is a good "short term" oil, but then again it could open up to many potential legal problems etc..for example Toyota,..thousands and thousands if not hundreds of thousands of their cars developed motor oil sludge.. many of the motors had to be exchanged including a friend of mine after I had told him about the potential sludge problem ...and many other owners had the warranties extended to the original owners..this happened in a smaller way with VW,GM, Chrysler.. the cheaper oils like penzoil and quaker state played a part in this problem because so many people were useing the "quik lube" places and also the dealerships offered the lower grade oils to the customer to be more competitively priced..in a nut-shell the cheaper brand oils only served to hasten in the "Extreme Service Recommendations" before their expected time (as we know, most of us exceed these limits which in turn only worsens the impeding problem) ...as far I understand and generally speaking..if your car was serviced at a quik- lube and had receipts to prove this..you were covered under the Toyota Warr. .. but if the car was serviced at the dealership and if the dealership put in a "non- sanctioned" oil with your Permission ..your problem was now to be worked out with the dealer....Oh how the lawsuits escalated into the millions of car owners . ..buyer beware..

HA! BS! if someone else can do it, I can do it. i'm not up to date on this stuff but the "sealed" units aren't typically automatic transmission fluid related i don't think, i think it's other internal bits - like a manual trans center diff that may be sealed. but again i'm not up to date on the latest and greatest out there and am unsure what you're talking about. but...if they can do it at the dealer, it can be done elsewhere.

i stopped in and asked the dealer in atlanta what synthetic fluid they used in their LSD's and they showed me their stash of yellow Penzoil bottles just like you buy in the store.

why would you want to know this? it seems like it's on par with asking what brand gasoline the dealer uses.