Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

84 Turbo Coupe Badges Restoration

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 08:10 PM

OK, I have the first set of badges back from the restorer, I must say, they look a lot better in person that the scanned pictures show.

First the gold Subaru badges

Before

Posted Image

After, sorry, one is upside down

Posted Image

The rear trunck turbo badge

Before

Posted Image

And after

Posted Image

I have two side badges there getting rechromed, I'm still working on how to get the blue image restored. I don't want a decal, I want it to look original.

Edited by Dr. RX, 11 December 2009 - 10:16 PM.

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:08 PM

Very nice! What type of places should a person look for to do this type of restoration work? I know some places that do chrome and such but I doubt they would take on something like a Subaru badge.....

And what does something like that cost?

GD

#3 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

Very nice! What type of places should a person look for to do this type of restoration work? I know some places that do chrome and such but I doubt they would take on something like a Subaru badge.....

And what does something like that cost?

GD

I looked under automotive badge restoration. It;s not cheap, that place I used charges $65 per badge these sizes.

#4 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,536 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:45 AM

My screen printer has been avoiding me it seems the last couple of weeks.

Super annoyed!

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 12 December 2009 - 01:49 AM

Yeah that's not cheap - but worth it for a proper restoration and frankly probably not a lot more than they would be new from the dealer (assuming you could get them which I'm guessing you can't) anyway.

Still - VERY nice. I would definitely consider something like this when I get around to doing the full restro on my Brat. Thanks for shareing!

GD

#6 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,754 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:43 AM

Seriously cool stuff Corky, I have a NOS set of the side emblems if you'd like to show them to your resto guy as a reference. I'd like to see your coupe in the flesh sometime too.

#7 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:23 PM

Seriously cool stuff Corky, I have a NOS set of the side emblems if you'd like to show them to your resto guy as a reference. I'd like to see your coupe in the flesh sometime too.

The side pieces are just getting rechromed, but have at least one NOS badge would help getting the image correct for that part of the restoration.

#8 Dr. RX

Dr. RX

• Members
  • 9,984 posts
  • Sammamish, WA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 12:39 PM

OK, did my first test on the center piece. I did it in a cold room, so the paint didn't atomize well. I sprayed too much paint on at first, when I wiped it off, I took some of the masking with it. I think at room temp (around 70 degrees) the paint should spray better, but I might go with a different paint too.

Here's the picture of the first test run.

Posted Image

Edited by Dr. RX, 22 February 2010 - 12:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users