Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Turbo Coupe Badges Restoration

OK, I have the first set of badges back from the restorer, I must say, they look a lot better in person that the scanned pictures show.

First the gold Subaru badges

Before

Gold%20Subaru1.jpg

After, sorry, one is upside down

Gold%20Badges%20new.jpg

The rear trunck turbo badge

Before

Rear%20Turbo%20Badge%20Before.jpg

And after

Rear%20Badge%20New.jpg

I have two side badges there getting rechromed, I'm still working on how to get the blue image restored. I don't want a decal, I want it to look original.

Edited by Dr. RX

Very nice! What type of places should a person look for to do this type of restoration work? I know some places that do chrome and such but I doubt they would take on something like a Subaru badge.....

And what does something like that cost?

GD

I looked under automotive badge restoration. It;s not cheap, that place I used charges $65 per badge these sizes.

Yeah that's not cheap - but worth it for a proper restoration and frankly probably not a lot more than they would be new from the dealer (assuming you could get them which I'm guessing you can't) anyway.

Still - VERY nice. I would definitely consider something like this when I get around to doing the full restro on my Brat. Thanks for shareing!

GD

Seriously cool stuff Corky, I have a NOS set of the side emblems if you'd like to show them to your resto guy as a reference. I'd like to see your coupe in the flesh sometime too.

The side pieces are just getting rechromed, but have at least one NOS badge would help getting the image correct for that part of the restoration.

• 2 months later...

OK, did my first test on the center piece. I did it in a cold room, so the paint didn't atomize well. I sprayed too much paint on at first, when I wiped it off, I took some of the masking with it. I think at room temp (around 70 degrees) the paint should spray better, but I might go with a different paint too.

Here's the picture of the first test run.

1st test.jpg

Edited by Dr. RX