Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

W series Toyota trans adaptors

• Please log in to reply
575 replies to this topic

#476 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

is the AW4 and A340 transmissions the same auto trans that comes in the 2JZ engine ? because I have that on hand

#477 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:32 AM

is the AW4 and A340 transmissions the same auto trans that comes in the 2JZ engine ? because I have that on hand

It came with 3.0, 3.4, and one JDM that I can find that was 2jz...but that is according to the Wiki.don't know how much faith I'd have in that.

Here is a chart for more k-nowdledge:

Type

Year

Found Behind

Gears

Low Gear

Length

T-Case Shifting

Notes

L43

1979-1980

20R

20 3/4"

L45

1981-1982

22R

???

Integral bell housing.

L50

1981-1982

22R

???

Integral bell housing,

input bearing prone to failure.

L52

22R

???

Integral bell housing.

G52

1984-1987

22R

25 1/4"

Forward

Front seal retainer uses 8 bolts.

G54

1984-1987

22R

25 1/4"

Forward

A340F

1984-1999

22RE, 22RTE

???

???

Found on vehicles with manual hubs and V6 models after '96.

A340H

1988-1995

3VZE

???

Mechanical Linkage on Side

Found on vehicles with ADD, transfer case integral to transmission.

W56

1985-1995

22RE

25 1/4"

Top (85-88)

Forward (89-95)

Front seal retainer uses 7 bolts.

R151F

1986-1987

22RTE (pickups only)

25 1/4"

Top (w/ Bucket Seats)

Forward (w/ Bench Seats)

Can be identified by round rubber plug on the bottom of the bellhousing.

G58

1989-1995

22RE

???

Found of vehicles with ADD.

R150F

1988-1995

3VZE

???

cheers, B

well, that didna work out well.....anyways.

Edited by monstaru, 12 November 2011 - 11:49 AM.

#478 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Arnhem (The Netherlands)

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:24 AM

I've been offered a W57 Celica transmission locally... If I can acquire it for a good price I will be ordering one of your adapters :)

#479 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:57 AM

Another seller has offered me a gearbox (he has a few) I think the two marked with an arrow are all aluminum W5X transmissions (he also has two steel ones but I don't want those). Is there a way to tell if it's a W55, W57 or W58?

Posted Image

#480 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:52 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#481 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:40 AM

Looking good. I'm waiting to get paid for an EZ30R H6 engine I sold (getting the money beginning of December) then I will order myself one of these nice adapters as Christmas present :)

I already confirmed a W57 transmission with shifter and front piece of the propeller shaft for 150 Euro (just under 200 bucks). Mileage is 223.000 km I guess that is no problem for a Toyota transmission (engine 21RC). Will be picking it up in the next few weeks.

#482 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:55 AM

So - is the remote shifter and bell-housing package now orderable?

I read through the last few pages but I'm not certain if it's out of "beta" testing or not yet?

Thanks,
GD

#483 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,421 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:33 PM

so - is the remote shifter and bell-housing package now orderable?

I read through the last few pages but i'm not certain if it's out of "beta" testing or not yet?

Thanks,
gd

+ 1

#484 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

I have been selling bellhousings for the last 5 months, I thought you all knew they were done, the shifter is not done yet.

I have been building some other bellhousings for other websites, Its all here, I just get a little out of time

#485 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:01 AM

Right - we knew about the bell housing. Just wondering about the shifter and when we can get a package deal with both.

What's holding me up from buying is that I really am going to need the remote shifter as well for my project so I might as well wait (assuming it's going to get developed :-p) and purchase both at the same time.

No rush - actually I probably won't need it for a year - maybe several. But I want to support your amazing product for our little community here - that's the only reason I ask :o.

GD

#486 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:34 AM

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to need a remote shifter. I plan on moving the engine backwards as far as possible. Without lowering the engine in the chassis I can move it back 3 inches then the starter hits the firewall.

I still have to figure out how much further I can go without repositioning the steering rack. I could also modify part of the firewall near the starter to create extra package space to move the engine even further back.

I will be building a custom subframe for engine, transmission and front suspension (using EJ A-arms).

#487 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:08 PM

http://bbs.legacycen...=44664&start=75

even 3 in inches sill wont be enough probably.

there's a guy on lego central that has one mounted in his car already and i guess he has a remote shifter figured out, we are just waiting for some pictures.

#488 LeoneTurbo

LeoneTurbo

EJ engine expert

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:34 AM

What is the length of the adapter (ie. the distance between engine bell housing and the beginning of the actual transmission case)?

#489 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:39 PM

As a friend of mine says, it's equal parts terrifying and brilliant

My answer for a remote shifter right now. :)

Posted Image

#490 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,418 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 28 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

Thats HAWT!!!!..You get'em!;)
cheers

As a friend of mine says, it's equal parts terrifying and brilliant

My answer for a remote shifter right now. :)

Posted Image

#491 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:15 AM

well,,,,,,,,,,,,, I better get back to work on this shifter deal before I cause a major depression
this is where I been, this is a Mitsubishi V 6 engine with a reverse starter molded into the bellhousing

I just keep cutting, fitting ,welding and shaping the housing
Posted Image Posted Image

there is a difference in starter rotation that has been asked about , when you do a reverse starter application, its good to know you rotate the enging in the proper direction

I hated the first starter location, there were two problems with it, first in didnt set the starter between bellhousing bolt boses and relied on only one main bolt station to limlt and deflection in the starter, the other problem was special shifter linkage would have been required
because of the depth of the starter gear, I had a choice. build a custom gear or build the starter body right into the bellhousing, well I hate custom parts, all these parts are available over the counter so I spent the time to place the front of the starter pocket into the bellhousing

Posted Image

I should be filling it all in and getting it to casting this month

Edited by bill hincher, 29 December 2011 - 04:18 AM.

#492 Crawlerdan

Crawlerdan

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • montana

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:34 PM

bill- the jeep ax5 or ax 15 is made by the same people that make toyotas r and w series trans. is it possible for my to use ej22-your adapter-jeep trans?

#493 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

they are all 'R' series asian transmissions and thats why I built the pattern into it, they all share the same bolt pattern but the AX jeep has a waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy long input shaft
I hate spacers, so I built into the plans being flexable enough to lengthen my bellhousings to accept the longer shafts of the R 154 and the AX 15

where the problems come in is in the throw out bearing match ups and the cost of the custom disc, I belive the AX has a coarse spline disc, if you can find it in a 9 inch that would help

#494 Crawlerdan

Crawlerdan

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • montana

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:32 PM

i hadnt thought about throwouts, or depths
i know you can swap an r series input into an ax15, but most people would rather not

as for the clutch, couldnt we turn a lrger disc down to the appropriate diam in a lathe? ill look into it more.

the reason im thinking this is- i can pick up a whole running jeep cherokee for the cost of an r series :D

#495 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:41 PM

When I ordered up my clutch from bills guy he said he could put any center into any disc.

So from the stand point of finding a disc it sure doesn't sound to hard, but then you have the throw out part.

#496 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:21 PM

yea, custom clutch parts are not too difficult. There's a shop up here in Duluth that does it all the time (and does it very well too!)

#497 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

i hadnt thought about throwouts, or depths
i know you can swap an r series input into an ax15, but most people would rather not

as for the clutch, couldnt we turn a lrger disc down to the appropriate diam in a lathe? ill look into it more.

the reason im thinking this is- i can pick up a whole running jeep cherokee for the cost of an r series :D

yeah the cost is the reason I choose the pre 97 R 151, they came on all the V 6 toyota trucks so there are lots of transmissions and they were heavier then the w series trans

#498 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

And they sat behind one of the most craptastic Toyota motors ever.I always see tons of dead v6 trucks and 4 runners around.

#499 mellow65

mellow65

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Oh and bill were you going to get back on the shifter thing any time soonish, my big mess of ugly really is what I'm going to use if yours doesn't come through.

Now shockingly as ugly as it may be, it actually shifts (at least in the garage) quite nicely.

#500 bill hincher

bill hincher

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Toledo,Ohio

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Oh and bill were you going to get back on the shifter thing any time soonish, my big mess of ugly really is what I'm going to use if yours doesn't come through.

Now shockingly as ugly as it may be, it actually shifts (at least in the garage) quite nicely.

yeah, I have a lot of requests for it , its really the next logical step to making a workable swap

hows school? things working out at home?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users