Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Puttng a brownie in a subie

ShagginWagon

I was talkin to my dad about my future plans for my subaru and he was askin me if u could stick a brownie on a subie. Has anyone done this or is it even possible. I dont know enough about them or our transmissions to tell him if we could or not so he told me to ask u guys on the forum. He said if i realy want a serious fourwheelin rig i would put a brownie in it. I dont think that im gonna dedicate my car to fourwheelin that much, but maybe in the near future. Anyways sorry if i was rambling on if anyone knows the answer to this feel free to give any info or opinions u have.

Edited by Turbone

I was talkin to my dad about my future plans for my subaru and he was askin me if u could stick a brownie on a subie. Has anyone done this or is it even possible. I dont know enough about them or our transmissions to tell him if we could or not so he told me to ask u guys on the forum. He said if i realy want a serious fourwheelin rig i would put a brownie in it. I dont think that im gonna dedicate my car to fourwheelin that much, but maybe in the near future. Anyways sorry if i was rambling on if anyone knows the answer to this feel free to give any info or opinions u have.

I'm probably your dads age, but I have no clue what a brownie (for a car) is :confused:

A Brownie is a splitter transmission used in older semi-tractor trucks. And they work great. Heard of a guy putting one in a 4X4 older chev truck mounted it backwards & gave him 2 extra gear ranges to select from.:banana: way to large for a subie.

It is a gear splitter so basicaly u would have low range, regular, then high of each gear. It is a transfer case basicaly and can be added to many vehicles. They arent just for tractors i dont think. I even know of a guy that had two on his 4wheelin rig, could u imagine the gearing, that would be awsome they arent too big for a subie, but the question is would it work or be able to mount in or on the transmission or were ever it would need to go. My dad was explaining how u would do it but i just wasnt gettin it so he told me to ask u guys. He says that if u want a serious offroading rig u would want a brownie in it. Even if u guys dont know what it is i would still like u to google it because this could be a great thing for everyone, for the ej cars that dont have d/r's and for the ea guys that would like some lower gearing.

Ahh, Yeah I feel old. I know what your talking about, except me and my buds call them brownie boxes. They're just a 2 or 3 speed tranny mounted behind the primary tranny. I've seen them and used them on trucks and also on serious offroad rigs, but I think they only do good on serious offroad rigs with serious power. Suubs simply aren't hardcore offroad rigs, their more or less capable trail rigs. You could put one on a suub, but you mine as well be looking at 1 ton axle upgrades, custom drivelines, serious lifting(suspension, not body lifts, definitely not independent suspension anything), custom built control arms, brakes upgrade, steering upgrades, then you'd have to find room underneath your rig....You'd be better taking a suub body and putting it on a full framed 4x4 chassis. The reason you'd need a brownie box is if your turning big tires(35"+) over big rocks or pulling big loads. Their usually heavy too!

A tranfercase doubler could be a better bet, but you have to ask yourself what you want to do with your rig. You'd still have to find room for two tranfercases, deal with the weight, and then enjoy breaking EVERY other part of your drivetrain(stock CV's would just explode). My Jeep has a 1:2.72 low range and I can increase that to 1:4 if I want, in the same TC. I can also use a Humvee(not hummer, they suck) drive chain and a center diff out of a dana 300 to make it nearly bomb proof. If I used my rig(the Jeep) for crawling, a TC doubler could get my low range around 1:8. At 1:8, I could tow a 3 ton(likely more than that) trailer at idle with NO problems and I'd also have 12 gear ratios availble, but I don't need to do all that and I'm more than happy with a 2.72 low range.

So like a 5 and a 4 out of a 68ish KW? that would weigh about 1000lbs and not to mention you would have 20 gears forward and 4 gears in reverse, a T-Case is the same thing pretty much with far less shifting involved................

a brownie box behind the subaru trans wouldnt work very well because the stock subi trans is Fwd then 4wd. with the brownie box behind the transmission your front and rear gear ratio's wouldn't be the same so it would bind up if you tried to use 4wd.

however people have installed a divorced transfer case behind the subi trans, but that requires a ton of work,and a rear diff mounted up front...