Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ac compressor for onboard air ( Attn:rooinater)

Yep, I've done it.

Works great, except that you need a way to oil the compressor.

An inline oiler works, THEN you need an oil water separator on the output side...

Need to get my hands on a York compressor, you bet it's gonna make things simpler; they're self oiling.

As for a walk through, I'll post later after work...

Or I could just post here;) The in line oiler is right, U need it to keep the compressor alive:)

1) take the fiting for the lines off of the comp. Cut the fiting flush with the bulk-head of it so that U now just have hole insted of a tube coming out. Tap that hole with 1/4"NPT threds, put a fiting in it and run a hose from there (intake side) to an in-line oiler, and from the oiler to the air filter housing.

2) Do the same cut and tap to the output side, run a line from there to a standard air commpressor controll switch, and then from the controll switch to what ever U are using for an air tank.

3) Now take the wire coming from the AC comp. cluch and run it to one side of the comp. controll switch. Then run a wire from a togle switched "+" to the other side of the comp. controll switch.

Turn on the sys. and adjust the "kick in& kick out" on the switch and U now have a VERY GOOD on board air sys.

U can add an air/water seporator to the out-put side if U want, but I just run the oiler at a very low rate and let the oil go throught all my air tools. It's good for them!!

If anyone is looking for a cheap, very good compressor for onboard air, hit up the rabbits.

VW Rabbits had York style compressors for the A/c system, and can be had for quite cheap from wrecking yards. I've got one, and it puts out some serious pressure and awsome CFM. Only down side, (for me), is that they all have V-belt pully's on them, and I have a serpentine belt as of my last engine swap. :(

seeing as how the ER-27 has one on it. What about those types of AC compressors? Just add in an in-line oiler on the intake side, and I'll be good to go? I know about the control side of operation, just not sure on the mechanical side of these units.

Here's a link with info on coverting a stock A/C pump. http://home.kendra.com/xjdlgill/converti.htm

And here's a list of links to pages with York type on board air conversions. http://www.jeepsonly.com/How_Tos/On_Board_Air/

I couldn't find any more info on that small lightweight self-oiling pump found on Corollas. I'll try to ask the guy I work with which years it came on. He uses a pump like that on his trail rig to air up 38" tires, power tools, lockers etc and yet his reservoir is only a small fire extinguisher bottle that can't hold more than a gallon or so. Nicest OBA system I've ever seen, but then his whole rig is super cool because he's a hella tool maker and machinist by trade.

Just a crazy thought here... What about finding a 5HP 125VAC surplus electric motor, and coupling it to one of these york compressors? Throw in an air tank and you have a very cheap shop air system that might just be relatively quiet (using a POS craftsman oilless now)