Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I have a '98 Legacy Outback (standard) and the engine looks like a 2.2L but the label under the hood said it's a 2.5L engine.

I looked a number of places online and all seem to indicate that it's a 2.5L engine....

Thanks for your replies...

--Damien

If it's the original engine, check the timing belt covers. If each end (left and right) looks like there are two circles, it will be the DOHC 2.5L. If each end looks like there is only one circle, you have the SOHC 2.2L engine.

Other members can chime in and correct me if I made any mistakes.

count the ''lobes'' on each side of the engine. one each, two total = ej22, 2 each side , 4 total = ej25.

or check the stamping on the block under the power steering pump.

or look at the spark plugs, if they are angled up and do NOT go through the the valve covers it is an ej22. if they are horizontal and DO go through the valve covers then it is an ej25.

or look at the spark plugs, if they are angled up and do NOT go through the the valve covers it is an ej22. if they are horizontal and DO go through the valve covers then it is an ej25.

Not a reliable way, there are EJ22's with the plugs going through the valve covers.

O.

Not a reliable way, there are EJ22's with the plugs going through the valve covers.

O.

yes, the phase 2, 99 - 00 ej22, but they will not swap into a 97 - 98 with out a lot of headaches, time and money. so chances are that it was not done. as a matter of fact i have never heard of any one doing it.

besides if the plugs are angled up its an ej22.

Many ways - most of which have already been given to you.

1. Below the power steering pump on the top of the block will be a casting that will either be "EJ22" or "EJ25". This is by far the easiest way to tell.

2. EJ25's are DOHC. EJ22's are SOHC. It should be pretty obvious from the size of the timing belt covers.

3. Post a picture and let us tell you if you are indeed that helpless.

GD

1. Below the power steering pump on the top of the block will be a casting that will either be "EJ22" or "EJ25". This is by far the easiest way to tell.

GD

Alright...that was the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

Regards,

---Damien

p.s. Don't get bent.

I've got three Subarus in my driveway...all of which have 2.2L engines in spite of the fact that the tags on the body says they are all 2.5L engines so please excuse my skepticism.

I guess those 2.5L either blew the headgaskets or the engines were swapped in anticipation of that.

Cheers!

--Damien