Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swapping the Er27 engine in my xt6

natext6

I'm curious about replacing the ER27 engine in my xt6 when it goes. But Wait! I'm curious about what other engines could be put into it with minor modifications. I've heard that the ez30d has been ported into xt6s but I don't know what kind of process that might involve.

Has anyone done a conversion of this type before? Or does anyone know anything about the idea of swapping the ER27 for something more powerfull/ newer?

Anything you swap is going to be an EJ engine. Look at all the threads relating to doing an EJ swap into an EA chassis and you will get the idea. The XT6 is the same amount of work as any other EA.... but with some of it's own special quirks. The EG33 (SVX engine) and the EZ30 have both been done I think - both are relatively expensive. Cost for a standard EJ22 swap is usually around $1000 - figure anything you do involveing an H6 is going to be double. I would not be at all surprised to see you spend $2000 to $3000 swapping in a newer engine.

GD

with minor modifications.
in general that rules out every single possible swap. so you'll have to define "minor". everything will require adapter plates or trans swaps to go with it and most importantly - wiring. simple solution to that is to pay someone $200 to do it for you, there's a couple folks that do it, but you have to also buy and find a wiring harness which isn't super easy since it's buried behind the dash too.

so again - you'll have to define "easy"

nate - i think you've seen all the swaps on subaruxt.com - there's a couple EG33 swaps, EZ30 swaps, a bunch of EJ turbo swaps.....there's a tons of them right on the XT6 forum.

I would not consider a 4-cylinder, as the 6-cylinders are much better in just about every way, except they don't fit in most subarus. The cool thing about the XT6, is it has the longer engine bay for the 6-cylinder, so the EG33 (3.3l H6 from the SVX) fits like a glove. Granted....a tighter glove than it was with the ER27, but the radiator still fits where it should be, which is not possible in other subaru models.

The SVXs were made from '92-'97, and in fairly small numbers. but they were plagued with transmission problems, so parts cars can be had for a decent price if you're willing to go pick it up. And parts are valuable. A friend of mine bought a rusty SVX with transmission problems, kept the wiring and engine, and paid for a build Cusco WRX 5-speed with the profits from the partout. Now he has one of the fastest GCs I've ever ridden in.

IMO the EZ series engines are even better, but they are only 10 years old....which of course means more expensive. And since they were just Outbacks, the parts are not that valuable.

I'm not a big fan of the FT4WD drivetrain in the XT6s. But what is cool, is your transmission mount and front axles are a perfect fit for the new-gen 5-speeds. Get a version with a 3.9 axle ratio, and you won't even have to swap the rear diff. You'll have to modify the shift linkage a bit, and have the driveshaft shortened 2". But that's cheaper than an adapter plate, and you'll get a better clutch and true AWD.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm, that's an interesting idea, seeing as that would be most of the way to making a ER27"T" but from what I know about the ER27 making into a turbo wouldn't really add that much to it's overall power.

Thanks for the link! but I'm looking more for an EZ30d (idea compliments of Numbchux :grin: ) now. Too bad they're rare as hell =/