Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trans guts in another Case

Naked Buell

So I acquired a 4-11 5 speed and I have the older transmission case to put the guts in. Now I have never even cracked a case before and needed some advice from my Subie brothers. How hard is it and does the back lash and all that need to be adjusted too? I am clueless about this and any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm no expert...but here's what I did.

Taking the case apart is not too difficult. Just make sure you keep track of where the bolts and brackets came from. Only hard part is the shift linkage, you'll have to remove the access panel on the top of the center diff case, and there's a set bolt in the piece that activates the switches for neutral and reverse, this will allow more travel in the shift rod which will allow you to seperate it from the front case halves.

I just pulled the internals out of one case, and dropped them in the other. I made no adjustments, to anything. I just made sure the shims followed the gearset.

Just make sure you get it sealed up good, and keep an eye on it. Mine leaked dry.....which ruined it....

Personally I have stepped away from almost all RTV products. I find that in almost all cases there are better and cleaner options. From many perspectives - application, cleanup, dissasembly, and shelf-life. RTV products lose in every catagory to the anaerobic flange sealants. The only advantage they have is they are cheap. But a caulk gun sized cartridge of the anaerobic will last years (infinite shelf life) and is only about $40:

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-51580-Anaerobic-Sealant-Cartridge/dp/B000HBGLVY

GD

• 2 weeks later...

the only major problem with it is the fact that getting the stuff back apart after it has been right stuffed. can be a major chore. ha ha

Yeah, an experience like that is what gave me the idea to re-glue all of my Black rubber door gaurds back on my EA82 wagon. (85, 86 only....they went back to clips for 87+)

Ripped all my panels off, cleaned them thoroughly, let em sit in the sun till they were flexible. Then I put a bead of right stuff on, and used masking tape to hold them in place till the right stuff cured. 6 months later, they are still stuck on TIGHT.

Right stuff makes great removable threadlocker too! A little smear on a bolt, and it's not coming out until someone takes it out.

Back to the post.....Trans guts?

4.11 EJ box guts into ???? Won't work in a D/R case. S/R works great.

Is it possible to run a EJ ring and pinion in a EA box, without serious mods, by using the EJ tail section? Do the tail sections swap or are the bolt patterns/dimensions too different? I'd like to avoid having to shorten the pinion shaft and weld it back up.

I'm hoping to build a PT, 1.59 D/R, 4.44 geared 5mt. It would be behind an EJ22 in a 87 GL wagon. I know Subaru made a D/R EJ 5mt, but I don't know if we got any stateside and I've read they got something like a 1.19 low range, but can be swapped for the EA 1.59. If I can get an EJ D/R trans, would that be the better way to go?

My thought is to use a EA 5MT D/R box, Forester XT 4.44 R&P and a welded EJ viscous clutch/center diff tail section, making it a PT 4wd box. I'm assuming the EJ boxes are longer so I'd need a new/modified driveline and I'd also need to trim the ring gear to clear the 1.59 low range gear set. Would this work???

Josh

Sort of. It would be AWD. In order to swap the pinion shaft, you have to start with a full-time box, and then swap the center diff and housing from an EJ car.

Also, the EA82 pinion shaft is longer, so you'd have to lengthen the EJ one to work with the EA82 center diff.

Thanks for the reply!

I wasn't planning on using the EA center diff, but instead, weld an EJ AWD center diff to make it PT and bolt it to the EA 5mt D/R, allowing me to use the EJ 4.44 pinion....maybe.

1. So EJ AWD center diffs/housings can not be swapped to EA D/R boxes?

2. Will EA AWD center diffs/housings bolt to EA D/R boxes allowing me to use an EJ pinion shaft?

3. So the only way to get a 4.44 gear set in a D/R 5mt is to cut and weld the pinion shaft?

4. Are D/R EJ AWD boxes available in the states?

I've found conflicting info about this and any input is appreciated

Josh

EA transer case will bolt to the EJ case and vice versa.

Problem is, the gearsets.

You can't use an EA D/R upper shaft gears, and EJ lower shaft gears toghether.

And EJ lower shafts are larger diameter, so you can't press EA gears onto them.

The ONLY combo to get a D/R with 4.11 or 4.44 would be to source a set of gears from an EA "Fulltime" D/R gears from an RX. that's the on;y set that will work on the EA upper shaft, and the EJ lower shaft.

Now, with this combo, you still would need to use the EJ AWD tailsection.

Welding it would just make it locked 4wd, not selectable.

If you look up the definition of part time 4wd, it means the front and rear diffs are locked together on a 50/50 power slpit and has nothing to do with how, or weather or not, its selectable between 2wd and 4wd.

AWD, Full time 4wd, All time 4wd, etc., all vary the torque split preventing torque bind making them safe to drive on pavement and perform better in snow and ice. My jeep has both full time and part time modes which I can unlock into 2wd..

By definition of the words, 4wd part of the time means that you have another option. which you will not. you will not be able to drive out on pavement at all.

Also, Subaru offers a part time box, so when you say you are going to convert it to PT, it's reasonable to assume that you are expecting it to function like one.

Thanks for the reply!

I wasn't planning on using the EA center diff, but instead, weld an EJ AWD center diff to make it PT and bolt it to the EA 5mt D/R, allowing me to use the EJ 4.44 pinion....maybe.

1. So EJ AWD center diffs/housings can not be swapped to EA D/R boxes?

2. Will EA AWD center diffs/housings bolt to EA D/R boxes allowing me to use an EJ pinion shaft?

3. So the only way to get a 4.44 gear set in a D/R 5mt is to cut and weld the pinion shaft?

4. Are D/R EJ AWD boxes available in the states?

I've found conflicting info about this and any input is appreciated

Josh

1. incorrect, it can be used

2. yes

3. no

4. sort of. Subaru never brought them here, but you would not be the first to import one

Start with an RX box (you HAVE to use the gearset from a FT4WD D/R). Add the 1.59 low range gearset from a non turbo part time box (RX box has 1.19). Add R&P of your choice (for 4.111 or 4.444, OD of the ring will have to be reduced to clear low range gearset). Use 5MT front diff of your choice. Use matched set of EJ center diff and housing (either phase 1 and 2 can be used as a set)

By definition of the words, 4wd part of the time means that you have another option.

By definition of words yeah, I suppose. By actual definition....no. Ford, Dodge Chevy, AMC, Subaru and everybody else call a locked center diff a part time system and has no reference to any other part of the system, like 2wd, or any other "option". Its called part time, because you can ONLY use it "part of the time"...only when in dirt, gravel, mud etc, not pavement. A full time/AWD system can be used all the time regardless of what your on. You can drive a rig in part time on the road, but its hard on the drivetrain, hops around and chirps in corners, but I've done it, by accident, by necessity and for stupid fun. Smaller tires, less aggressive or softer tread make it easier.

Yes, I was hoping I would be able to select it out of 4wd, but after reading what Gloyale said, it dawned on me it would be stuck in 4wd, so my plan isn't going to work for me unless I drive it with the driveshaft pulled when on the road

Thanks for the additional info about the D/R EJ boxes and the RX box!

Josh