Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Alignment go bad!

Hi..

I went to TJ tires in ballard. Also called Les Schwab. Eh, no biggy right. Need to get an alignment...

So i drop of my baby and go get some grub. When I come back. They suggest to do before i get an alignment:

Replace the tie rod end cost 169.50

Rack/Pinion Installation 129.50

Thrust angle alignment 45.95

new tires 156.52

wheel spin balance (10.00x4) 40.00

tubles valve stem (3.50x4) 14.00

siping-new tires (11.25x4) 45.00

Total cost 653.31

sales tax 52.84

All I want it new tires that wont wear out!! anyone have any ideas?:madder:

John

Buy a tie rod end, put it on... Its not that hard. Costs a whole hell of a lot less then 169$. You don't neeed Sipped tires. I have never heard of a thrust angle alignment? This is all if your alignment is even bad? Lift the front end up, shake ur wheels side to side. Does it have alot of play? That would be bad tie rod end or ends or bad wheel bearings or a loose bearing nut.

Tie rod ends are about $25 each - you can install them easily in less than an hour. Just remeber to mark their location so you get them back on at least semi-aligned. Removal and installation of the rack and pinion unit is neither neccesary nor reccomended for tie rod end replacement - I don't know what they are smoking on that one.....

Thrust angle alignment is bullshiz for Subaru's - tell em to stick it where the sun don't shine....

ALWAYS have your tires balanced. But a school auto shop would probably do it for nothing just for kicks if you asked nicely....

Siping is actually pretty cool, and if the tires are cheap ones, it will improve them a lot. Traction = good. Siping is good for mudders too.....

If you have nice rims - tell the idiots to put the wheel weights on the inside of the rim so they don't mess up the nice appearance of your rims....

GD

if austins busy and you can make it down to longview i would do em

hell i may even be able to go up there and do em

way far much cheaper than the tires dorks

email msn or whatever

only if austin has his hands full that is :)

don't wanna take work from someone

Just say "No".

Gees..... Those guys are in business to make money, even if you don't need the repairs. I don't know anything about TJ Tires, but I expect every tire shop/muffler shop/tuneup joint to sell me things I don't need.

You only wanted an alignment, so don't spring for the rest of it unless you KNOW you need it. Just cuz your Sub is 13 years old doesn't mean you need front end work. If you aren't sure, get a trusted second opinion. On an older car, I can accept a bit of slop and leeway (as long as it's not dangerous....), otherwise you'd be rebuilding it from the ground up.

On the other hand, Subs wear well -- on my '88 GL, the steering is as tight as the day I got it.

-- Mark

So,

I wanna saw that my stearing is semi-tight. I mean. Heck, i cant tell the different between my dads jetta and my wagon. Noah said I need an alignment. The car goes in a pretty much straight line. I mean unless I am coming home from school it goes in a straight line.. hee

well then.

thank you all

John

Originally posted by Rolloverbratboy

Replace the tie rod end cost 169.50

Can't do an alignment with loose tie rod ends. Period. But changing an outer tie rod end is not too difficult. You get to beat on the steering knuckle, hard, for a legitimate reason, so that's fun.

Rack/Pinion Installation 129.50
Huh? I'd want to know why they think the rack has to be "installed". Do they think the rack needs replacement? Perhaps they're taking the rack off the car to replace an inner tie rod end?? Usually, you can replace an inner with the rack on the car, but I don't know Subaru racks. Also seems like a lot of money to change a Subaru rack -- the EA82 ones look pretty easy.
Thrust angle alignment 45.95
Std. practice. Advised. You're not going to save much, if anything, by specifying a 2-wheel alignment these days, and the modern alignment equipment takes just about as much work to do the setup for 2-wheel as 4-wheel. Price is good -- we get $65 for the same service.
new tires 156.52

wheel spin balance (10.00x4) 40.00

tubles valve stem (3.50x4) 14.00

Do you think you need new tires? If they're really reluctant to do an alignment with the existing fronts, have them rotate the rears forward. All you really need is more-or-less the same tires with more-or-less equal wear on them on the front end.

• 10 months later...

you don't need to take the rack out to do inner tie rods, you only have to take the outer off completely and then you can replace the inners but you do need a special tool to remove the inners. a thrust angle alignment is a standard alignment for all cars unless you need a 4 wheel alignment which older subies don't need. i wouldn't get new tires unless your old ones are almost bald or wearing funny. i would recommend siping though that will give you better traction in the rain but if you drive on alot of gravel road i wouldn't recommend it, all snow tires come with lots of siping already