Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber carb for my 87 gl?

Yay or nay to getting a weber carb for my 87 gl? I have a craptachi and it really is. My car has been dying randomly when driving, it did for 30 minutes today, so when i was getting it going and pured a little gas down the carb to get her going and it went vroom and then died. Then when i did that i noticed gas dripping out the bottom of the carb onto the engine???????!!?!?! is that bad? I think my problem with my car just dying is an old fuel filter which i will check tomorrow. I know a weber carb will help and it is a necessity to have if I plan on keeping my car around. but $320 is a lot to fork out. I would feel more comfortable spending around $150.

Weber carb subaru that is the only carb I could find. Do you know anywhere else I could get one? and how easy is it to swap?

Edited by Moosen

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep that's a good example. Don't pay more than $100. Maybe a bit more for shipping. I buy these from locals all the time. I don't EVER pay more than $100 for a rebuilder. I don't care how good it looks or what they think it's worth. That's my top price and I'll just find another motivated seller if I don't get it for $100 or less. I do give some extra consideration to good condition DGV-5A's with the simplified manual choke system as those are harder to find and fit the EA82's with power steering much easier.

GD

Yep that's a good example. Don't pay more than $100. Maybe a bit more for shipping. I buy these from locals all the time. I don't EVER pay more than $100 for a rebuilder. I don't care how good it looks or what they think it's worth. That's my top price and I'll just find another motivated seller if I don't get it for $100 or less. I do give some extra consideration to good condition DGV-5A's with the simplified manual choke system as those are harder to find and fit the EA82's with power steering much easier.

GD

it's hard finding stuff local cause i live in a little town an hour outside of bozeman montana. and their craigslist sucks! but I heard of a junk yard so i might go poke around there. are carbs hard to rebuild?

Never an easy sort of question to answer - actually it's impossible to answer in any meaningful way. Not hard for me. YMMV. :-p

GD

So you will be willing to help with all my problems ahahaha. I use my car daily so i can't have it out of commision.

haha well not for long at least. like a week at most. Can i drop in a new carb like in one day?

Again - best answer I can give you is: I could easily do it in three hours. YMMV. :-p

I don't know what you can or cannot do. All I can tell you is that I can install one in three hours. But I've done so many I've lost count. I can rebuild one almost as easily as I can field strip an M16.... which I can strip and reassemble in 40 seconds in the dark. :)

GD

Again - best answer I can give you is: I could easily do it in three hours. YMMV. :-p

I don't know what you can or cannot do. All I can tell you is that I can install one in three hours. But I've done so many I've lost count. I can rebuild one almost as easily as I can field strip an M16.... which I can strip and reassemble in 40 seconds in the dark. :)

GD

alright. here's the deal. I am from portland originally. I will be back out this summer visiting parents, family and friends for atleast a week. Would you be willing to help me?

otherwise who is in the southwest montana region?!

Edited by Moosen

alright. here's the deal. I am from portland originally. I will be back out this summer visiting parents, family and friends for atleast a week. Would you be willing to help me?

Sure. I run my own Subaru shop. I could do the whole job or give you pointers on it, or whatever assistance you need, etc. It's what I do every day :). I have reasonable hourly rates. Probably get it installed and running for about $100. I'm working with a fellow board member who has access to water jet manufacturing on a new line of better fitting manifold adaptors for the Weber's to the EA81 and EA82.

GD

Sure. I run my own Subaru shop. I could do the whole job or give you pointers on it, or whatever assistance you need, etc. It's what I do every day :). I have reasonable hourly rates. Probably get it installed and running for about $100. I'm working with a fellow board member who has access to water jet manufacturing on a new line of better fitting manifold adaptors for the Weber's to the EA81 and EA82.

GD

or how much would it cost to have you rebuild when for me? If i paid you to find one and rebuild it for me? then ship it to me and I put it on?

or how much would it cost to have you rebuild when for me? If i paid you to find one and rebuild it for me? then ship it to me and I put it on?

It wouldn't be a significant savings over buying a new one I'm afraid. They are getting pretty cheap anymore. You can find brand new one's online for $199. Then you just have to buy the adaptor plate ($35) and the air filter ($15). I couldn't buy one, rebuild it, and sell it to you at any kind of worthwhile profit. I would love to do it for you just to be a nice guy - but I am far too busy right now to look for one, buy it, and rebuild it. I would have to charge more than a new one and it still wouldn't be new.

GD

Oh god just watching a couple videos of rebuilding carbs, I don't think I could do it. I would not know how to put it back together.

Maybe it is just better to buy a new one and bolt it on. I could get this Weber and just buy an adapter plate, fuel filter, and air filter and be good to go?

Edited by Moosen

Oh god just watching a couple videos of rebuilding carbs, I don't think I could do it. I would not know how to put it back together.

Maybe it is just better to buy a new one and bolt it on. I could get this Weber and just buy an adapter plate, fuel filter, and air filter and be good to go?

Yep. That's the one. They are getting really cheap these days. My local Redline dealer gets me the adaptors for the EA82 for about $35 and air filters are like $17 or something. Fuel filters are a buck.

That's a little over $250. You can't hardly buy a reman Hitachi for that kind of value. And as car-parts go that's cheap for a performance and reliability upgrade.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

And as car-parts go that's cheap for a performance and reliability upgrade.

GD

Wait what kind of performance are we talking.

• 5th gear sucks, I can barely hold speed.
  • Climbing hills is terrible and i have to downshift a bunch.
  • My top speed is like 65 mph.
  • And acceleration is extremely slow.
  • Also I get about 17-18mpg.

Will those things be fixed?

Wait what kind of performance are we talking.

• 5th gear sucks, I can barely hold speed.
  • Climbing hills is terrible and i have to downshift a bunch.
  • My top speed is like 65 mph.
  • And acceleration is extremely slow.
  • Also I get about 17-18mpg.

Will those things be fixed?

If your engine is in good condition otherwise - then yes. You should easily be able to maintain 90 MPH and acceleration with the Weber is excellent due to it's progressive linkage and larger barrels. I have had good mileage from my Weber's - as much as 32 mpg on freeway trips. Typically 26 to 28 in mixed driving.

GD

Next time youre in Portland, take Ned for a drive. 86 GL with a Weber carb... you will be awestruck at the power he makes, most everyone who drives my car is. The weber was put on and tuned by GD as its his old car.

Then you can buy one here and take it to him and youll be set :banana:

Alright next time my little subie is in portland I am for sure coming to you guys! And we can diagnose all my problems. Cause i want to keep her around for awhile. in the meantime here are some pictures of the engine bay and a couple ? i have.

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1435.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg