Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lost the clip for clutch cable, pedal end

So I found that the stiffness of my clutch cable is because the retaining clip on the pedal end is missing. Any advice on where to get another or what I can use as a substitute? I was thinking of using a brake line retainer clip but I'm not sure if it is the same size. USMB to the rescue?

It's not just a C-clip, since it is missing, I'm not 100% what it looks like, but it does the same function as this clip which is at the gearbox side of the same cable. I'm ASSuming it could look the same since the washers and rubber grommet thingys look the same on both ends of the cable. I borrowed this pic from another thread by Moosens, but it might help. Again it is NOT the clip in the picture, it is on the other end where the cable attaches to the bedal box. Thanks.

SNC18651-1.jpg

i know my pedals have the same thing.... that flat clip that holds the clutch cable to the pedal box? id try a dealer for sure.... wouldnt be easy to find anywhere else i would guess....

good luck! and if you do find where to get them post it up so others can see too :)

who knows....maybe ill need one someday! :P

It's not just a C-clip, since it is missing, I'm not 100% what it looks like, but it does the same function as this clip which is at the gearbox side of the same cable. I'm ASSuming it could look the same since the washers and rubber grommet thingys look the same on both ends of the cable. I borrowed this pic from another thread by Moosens, but it might help. Again it is NOT the clip in the picture, it is on the other end where the cable attaches to the bedal box. Thanks.

SNC18651-1.jpg

Take either a chisel or flathead screw driver up against the bent piece on the left in the photo and hit it with a hammer. Or get a pair of vice grips on it and pull it off.

i know my pedals have the same thing.... that flat clip that holds the clutch cable to the pedal box? id try a dealer for sure.... wouldnt be easy to find anywhere else i would guess....

good luck! and if you do find where to get them post it up so others can see too :)

who knows....maybe ill need one someday! :P

This is what pull a part is for....those small pieces that no one carries and that are overpriced at the dealer's.

As to removing the clip, I use a small long nosed vise grip and grab the straight tab on the end and tap the vise grip with a small hammer for the difficult ones. Easy ones I do with a long nose pair of pliers.

Thanks for the advice on how to pull it out, I knew that, the notes on the photo are not mine. As for pull a parts, they are not so common here in SoCal and to find an 80's Subaru is even less common. I was hoping there was an alternative or someone would have one I could buy.

Dealerships here are not so helpful, their systems don't go back far enough to help me. But I'll keep trying.

^yeah you gotta talk to the one older guy that's been there since who knows when. and have him dig through his book for the old part number, which does work in their system, but they often can't search that system directly. Good news they pretty good about supporting their cars, and being as common as it is likely not discontinued.

If you're still having trouble let us know. I'm friends with my subaru parts guy, and can probably track it down.

I got myself a hairpin retainer clip that I will try until I get the real deal. like this:

118-107-007.jpg

I'll swap the one in the engine bay down to the pedal cause I know that will be more solid under there where I can't see it well to check on it. And I'll put the wire clip in the engine bay where I can more easily reach it and keep an eye on it.

Can I add to the confusion? :lol:

:drunk:

Hey , I've got those clips , probably a bunch of guys do. When I'd part out my cars I'd save all those little clips ,etc.

Let me know if you still need one and I'll look in my boxes of doo dads. I think that's pretty much the same size clip at that point from the 70's thru the early Legacy. Anybody else?

thanks.

the clip I posted above is working fine. I also noticed, while I was installing that clip, that the hill holder cable has a similar clip. Since my hill holder is disabled, I could have just borrowed the clip from that cable and gone on my way. Now I know where I have a spare readily at hand under the hood should I ever need it.

Living in SoCal, there are not convenient junkyards around like the rest of the civilized world, and I would have thought it a common item in auto parts stores as well, but every one I went into didn't have it and the parts monkeys couldn't find it in their systems. I'm glad this thread is here now to help others who come across the same issue I had.

Edited by xman