Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time for everything.... rockauto

So I finally received an incorrect part via rockauto.

About 8 years, 50+ shipments, and probably north of 200 parts, I guess that aint so bad. :D

Question though, related to the '85 Brat motor Im building.

Its an EA81 obviously. I ordered '85 Brat headgaskets. Felpro Permatorque.

Only problem is that they shipped me headgaskets for an EA82

The brat was never available with an ea82, right?

Anyone have the permatorque headgasket number handy for the EA81?

To solve the cross-over issue, go with the '84 Model for parts ordering.

A lot of Supplier's have inaccurate info for the years that the EA81 and EA82 ran together.

No major changes were done to the EA81 engine/body during that time frame, so all gaskets, and what have you, fit properlly

i've always thought what you've said - no EA82's in brats.

like they all said:

#1 with EA81 (and other subaru's) you have to be very careful in certain years as it gets really confusing. even Subaru gets confused and that's partially why they require VIN numbers to verify, or they won't take responsibility for any mistakes.

i've also seen plenty of rockauto listings that were incorrect - for instance they used to list all sorts of 4 cylinder parts under XT6 stuff, etc. if i'm not positive i check it against other places.

Sometimes you've gotta be careful with rockauto. It's great, parts are nice and cheap, etc. But if I'm not sure I'll cross reference part numbers with other websites to make sure I'm getting the right part. Never had an issue doing that.

They did send me a bad ea82 wheel bearing once, though.

When you select your make model and engine, do not assume you will automatically get only parts for your car. What makes RockAuto different, is they show you every bit of information that they get from the manufacturer. So you'll find dimensions, body styles, etc in the description. I've seen parts listed under an EA81 that said OHC in the description.

And no, no factory EA82 brats.

All that said, judging from the pictures and part numbers on there, it looks like the 85 brat listing is correct. 8818PT matches other EA81 cars, and a 94 loyale shows a 9392PT. So maybe they just shipped you the wrong part.... does the part number on the package match your invoice

wow, ive ordered tons of parts from rockauto, and never had a wrong part. i did have a defective ebrake cable for my toyota t100, and had a part box empty once, but never any wrong parts...

i do hate that they have stopped carrying alot of parts for the older subies. when i first started using them, they had great selection, now theyve done warehouse closings etc, and alot of the stuff that was previously avail isnt...