Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Stupid question, is ej22 an interfierance ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 crazyman03

crazyman03

Version 2.2!

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • Lakewood, CO

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

I'm seeing mixed ideas. It's a '95 impreza ej22, September 1994 on the door, but it has a ODB2 port so it'd have to at least be a 96?. I need to do timing on it but wanted to gauge how urgent..

-Justin

#2 soobiefreak85

soobiefreak85

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Sherwood, Arkansas

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hey man,

90-96 ej22 is NOT, 97 and after is interference.

Wes

#3 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

90-96 ej22 is NOT, 97 and after is interference.

this is correct.

the legacy went obd2 in 95, i'm not sure about when the impreza changed over. but i would not be surprised if it was obd2 in 95. and if you have the port i would bet it is .

#4 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

non interference. 1997 and up are interference.

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,831 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

95 model year Legacy was OBD2.
90-96 Ej22 is non-interference.

#6 crazyman03

crazyman03

Version 2.2!

• Members
  • 654 posts
  • Lakewood, CO

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Thanks everyone. Good to know... It was just one if those black and white questions that I wasn't finding a clear answer.

I'm sitting at 195k and i havent a clue when it was last done.. i bought it with 160k ish iirc and I do a lot of on/off start/stop driving.

-justin

#7 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

get the timing kits off ebay with all new idlers and tensioner pulley. those are as prone to failing as the belt actually. they are all devoid of grease by now. the kits are so cheap they're great, you're good for another 60,000 miles.

the timing belt job is easy actually. if you don't have rusty timing cover bolts a timing belt job only can be done in 30 minutes....i mean, it won't your first time, but it's easy.

take a bunch more time if you start getting into resealing the oil pump (another 15 - 30 minutes), cam seals, etc - which are good idea if you're already in there. but if you got no leaks, a $80 timing kit and hour or so for another reliable 60,000 miles is great.

that motor will likely last as long as you care to maintain it if you don't overheat or run it low on oil. those things are solid.

#8 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Think also if your EJ22 is a swapped engine. Many EJ25s developed head gaskets leaks and were replaced with the much more reliable EJ22s. I thought my 98 OBW had an interference engine but in reality it has an older non-interference EJ22 in the bay.

--Damien

#9 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Think also if your EJ22 is a swapped engine. Many EJ25s developed head gaskets leaks and were replaced with the much more reliable EJ22s. I thought my 98 OBW had an interference engine but in reality it has an older non-interference EJ22 in the bay.

--Damien

Sorry, but the '95 Impreza came with an EJ22. The EJ25 didn't appear for the Impreza until after 2000 (I think it was 2002). And your 98 OBW was an interference EJ22 if it was an Impreza OBW. You can check the VIN plate in the engine compartment to see what engine was installed during manufacture.

#10 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,831 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:49 AM

--Damien

Like Ed said. Ej25s weren't around in 95. They were still on the drawing board. Didn't hit the scene til 96 and they were only in the Legacy.

98 Impreza Outback Sport wagon would have an interference SOHC EJ22.
Legacy Outback wagon would be the major interference DOHC EJ25D.

#11 CoupedUpSubie

CoupedUpSubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 160 posts
  • Woolwich

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Some '95 Impreza's came as OBD2. Especially the later build dates.

#12 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Like Ed said. Ej25s weren't around in 95. They were still on the drawing board. Didn't hit the scene til 96 and they were only in the Legacy.

98 Impreza Outback Sport wagon would have an interference SOHC EJ22.
Legacy Outback wagon would be the major interference DOHC EJ25D.

Well actually there is such a thing as a 95 OBW auto with a 2.5L engine. But I read that very few were actually made. Apparently it was some sort of test (or pilot) model...

--Damien

#13 efseiler

efseiler

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 352 posts
  • Passumpsic, Vermont

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Sorry, but the '95 Impreza came with an EJ22. The EJ25 didn't appear for the Impreza until after 2000 (I think it was 2002). And your 98 OBW was an interference EJ22 if it was an Impreza OBW. You can check the VIN plate in the engine compartment to see what engine was installed during manufacture.

My mechanic didn't think that there was such a thing as an interference EJ22.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users