Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intake Manifold Bolts?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

Okay, I'm thinking that I really don't want to put these bolts back in. Where do you recommend one gets new bolts? Any hardware store okay? Grade 8 a good idea, or go with the regular grade bolt?[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/DInky261/IMAG0439.jpg[/IMG]

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,010 posts
  • WV

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

could put them in some parts cleaner or wire brush them and coat the threads good, and clean out the threads in the heads so your new bolts don't pick up old contaminants.

or possibly someone on here could send you some?

i've replaced them before and the places I went never had the right length, of course I could get close enough to work with.

#3 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

I just ordered a set from Subaru here in town with gaskets to go with em.

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,950 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

i take a 8-1.25 die and clean the threads with that and be like new

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

Wire wheel and they will be fine.

GD

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,571 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Wire wheel does the trick.

What you will find at the hardware store or anywhere else is that 1.25 thread bolts are hard to come by and impossible in any appreciable length. These bolts are rusty because they thread into the water passage on the heads. Coat them liberally with anti-seize compound

#7 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 5,806 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I found New Bolts made of Good Quality Material and with the Exact Measurements, at the Local Napa Store:

Posted Image

#8 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:09 AM

Nice, I bet they weren't $1.98 a piece:banghead:

Except I don't have close access to a Napa store:mad: Autozone and ORielys ran them off:dead::dead:

#9 Indrid cold

Indrid cold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 768 posts
  • Kennewick, WA

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Wire wheel... but...

For hand power, a 1/2" copper fitting brush (plumbing section) is excellent for getting into tight areas (threads) and not as wimpy as a wire bristle tooth brush.

Those don't look that bad ..... ?

Edited by Indrid cold, 31 January 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#10 silverback

silverback

New User

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:19 AM

Those of us in the Seattle area have "Stoneway Hardware". They have a broad selection of metric hardware: fine, coarse, small head, heat treated, studs, set screws, nuts (right hand & left hand nuts), stainless and so forth. Last time that I checked, the M8-1.25 bolts (grade 8.8) were available up to 110mm long.
It is the biggest little hardware store in Seattle. This is where we save ourselves. The weekends always have European cars and bikes filtering in and out of the parking lot.

#11 NickNakorn

NickNakorn

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • London

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

It's hard to tell from the pics but are the threads the exact same pitch and shape? I'd rather clean up the old ones than risk an unknown quality of hardware - do they feel smooth when screwed in? (I might well be wrong but they don't look the same to me even with my specs on!).

#12 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

I'll have to check on those ??s, one thing is for sure though the two short ones or ones on the ends were not near as tight as the long ones.

I ordered replacements from the Subaru dealership here in town, should be the same quality. I hope anyway....

I just felt like the ones I pulled out had to much pitting in them to be real trust worthy down the road. When it's been said on here that it is a b....tch to get them out if they break.

I've seen some bolts over the years that were less compromised fail, in different uses of course, my dad always told me that if it looked like it might fail...go ahead and replace it cause you probably will later anyway.

Edited by Dinky26, 01 February 2013 - 07:51 PM.

#13 The Beast I Drive

The Beast I Drive

CALL ME, (509) 391-5903

• Members
  • 2,120 posts
  • Toppenish, WA

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

I usually don't reuse the bolts, I bought a length of B9 threaded rod in the right size and thread pitch and make studs, then I use stainless nuts. It can make it a pain to get the manifold off again someday, but I don't have to worry about stripping the threads in the heads.

-Bill

#14 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,409 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 02 February 2013 - 02:19 PM

Nice, I bet they weren't $1.98 a piece:banghead:

IDK, have you priced long bolts at NAPA lately? I'll bet they cost more than the couple nickles one would expect to pay for bolts.

#15 Dinky26

Dinky26

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 501 posts
  • Wichita KS

Posted 02 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

No, I've not priced bolts at NAPA, don't have one close to check with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users