Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poor Engineering (fit and finish) rant - WARNING...

Isnt Armorall a protectant?

Armor-All is a brand more than anything. a lot of the product is probbly licensed with the brand name from different manufacturers. As well with a lot of auto parts brands.

I have used wd-40 to freshen up plastics as it dries up and does not leave a residue and is not glossy. WD is paraffin based, i believe. I haven't used it enough consistently to see how of anything is affected, but as far and making the plastics moister, it lasts a good 2 weeks before needing another application. If you like wd-40 the smell is not bad and it really doesn't permeate it he car to begin with.

• Like 1

soap and water. maybe windex or other glass cleaner.

once you use "keep it shiny and moist" spray/wipes or any conditioner, it only begets the need for more. your plastics will look good until the product wears off, thats where the degradation and erosion occurs and helps make the plastic more brittle. 

Honestly, bacon grease would work really well and smell good. a good substitute is finger oil, which takes time.

• Like 1

Though my dash is in good shape, I would like to ensure it is in good shape in the future as well.  Of course I have eaten greasy McDonald's fries and Albertson's "cheep chicken" in it. And I am a bit of a slob, probably got it all over the dash. :P

• Like 1

soap and water. maybe windex or other glass cleaner.

once you use "keep it shiny and moist" spray/wipes or any conditioner, it only begets the need for more. your plastics will look good until the product wears off, thats where the degradation and erosion occurs and helps make the plastic more brittle. 

Honestly, bacon grease would work really well and smell good. a good substitute is finger oil, which takes time.

Lol I like the bacon grease idea! :grin:

Ok then... I'm going with the bacon grease all over the interior. That way, when I drive the logging roads during hunting season, the bears will just follow me home. I'll shoot 'em in the driveway. No more packin' bear. Ohhhhh... I can't wait. This is gonna be easy!

• Like 1

I actually tend to agree with mr loyal... as a currently have the same issue both driver rear driver window bottons are broke mabey it just broke loose from being jumped but hey I've got some bacon grease right by the stpve mabey that will shine and protect and restore those swithes to new... best of luck... but I'm sure that switch could be fixed with jbweld siper glue and spme duct tape

I just dont understand the armorall thing, it get sompared to degeaser? Isnt it a silicon based thing to protect & restore plastic, vinyl, etc? It certainly wouldnt clean an engine...

i made the comparison between the two to illustrate that just because a product makes a surface look better for a short time, doesnt mean its doing good things. Just trying to draw a parallel. basically you need to use more and more of it while it makes things brittle and wear out. Perhaps i should have compared "tire wet" which is silicone and bad for your tires, but hey, we all gotta bling right?

• 2 weeks later...

Broken but still functional... same issue in the wagon... broke off at the mounting points driver door master switch and rear driver window switch... good thing I have spares to make better and faster and stronger... ill be sure to bacon grease them up befor instalation.. ... might just make my own braket and toughen them up!

Hah, I got the best of both worlds. I've got an EA82 with SPFI, but I have manual windows. I believe only some '90 Loyales had manual windows. Later years had power windows. I've seen a handful of late-'80s DLs with SPFI and manual windows.

The only thing I really have to say with this thread is, this is why I love manual windows (manual everything, for that matter). Less stuff to go wrong and generally outlasts any automatic feature. Manual steering outlasts power steering, manual trannies outlast auto trannies, manual windows/locks/mirrors/seats outlast power windows/locks/mirrors/seats.

I've got an '84 DL 2 door and if that thing had spfi and didn't leak so much... I'd keep it. I love all the manual stuff, but I think technology does have it's place. SPFI is a Godsend, but '80s electric windows are just bad news. I've seen some late 80s DLs as well that had spfi and manual windows. You've got a good set up. KEEP IT FOREVER.

I've got an '84 DL 2 door and if that thing had spfi and didn't leak so much... I'd keep it. I love all the manual stuff, but I think technology does have it's place. SPFI is a Godsend, but '80s electric windows are just bad news. I've seen some late 80s DLs as well that had spfi and manual windows. You've got a good set up. KEEP IT FOREVER.

I like carbs, because they're tuneable, you can do more stuff with them, etc. But for the most part, I prefer SPFI. If you're offroading in the snow or something and you keep stalling the engine, then, well, SPFI is definitely appreciated.

The plaque on the inside of my door trim says it was manufactured (or sold  :confused: ) in July of '89, which is pretty early. Not sure when in '89 they started selling the '90 Loyales, but if that's anything to go by, I probably got one of the early models. Wonder if that has anything to do with the fact I have no power options (except A/C (which I removed), P/S (which I will soon remove), and a hill-holder (which is disconnected and soon to be removed)). She didn't even come with intermittent wipers, auto seatbelts, or most of the stuff later Loyales came with. Just gotta finish my "DL conversion" and I'm keeping her until I die.  :)

Sorry, this doesn't have much to do with the topic.  :unsure: I wanna know how it goes with the bacon grease. I feel like at first, it'd smell good. But if it lingers around too much (e.g. you don't leave the windows and air out the smell), it'll get annoying. The plastic on my window roller-upper handles (sorry, don't know the name for 'em, haha) are starting to fade to white. I can't find any good condition ones in the junkyard (especially ones matching my interior color), so I think I need to try and preserve it now. If bacon grease helps for that, I might just try it.

Edited by jj421

There's an added benifit to this, the FBI can't read your brain waves if you wrap your car in tin foil.

5D48ABD4-3983-4845-9F8B-08851A119C6F-437

:grin: lol

Tin foil hats actually attenuate the signal according to an MIT research paper: They theorize the tin foil fad was started by the government to increase prpopaganda reception amongst the sheeple.

http://boingboing.net/2005/11/11/mit-study-on-aluminu.html

• Like 1

Broken but still functional... same issue in the wagon... broke off at the mounting points driver door master switch and rear driver window switch... good thing I have spares to make better and faster and stronger... ill be sure to bacon grease them up befor instalation.. ... might just make my own braket and toughen them up!

Actually you can turn the switch on its back and fill it with epoxy to reinforce the mounting posts. If the mounting posts broke, then drill a hole where it was when the epoxy dries. 

• Like 1

The plaque on the inside of my door trim says it was manufactured (or sold  :confused: ) in July of '89, which is pretty early. Not sure when in '89 they started selling the '90 Loyales, but if that's anything to go by, I probably got one of the early models. Wonder if that has anything to do with the fact I have no power options (except A/C (which I removed), P/S (which I will soon remove), and a hill-holder (which is disconnected and soon to be removed)). She didn't even come with intermittent wipers, auto seatbelts, or most of the stuff later Loyales came with. Just gotta finish my "DL conversion" and I'm keeping her until I die.  :)

Most Loyales were pretty sparse...espescially 90 base models  .they were trying to move people into the Legacy.

However all teh manuals had PS, and a hillholder.  A/C probably installed by the dealer as most all but the GL-10's were.

Auto seatbelts were optional in 88,89....but then dropped in the 90 Loyale as confirmed by the 90 FSM....which has no listing for any auto seatbelt stuff.  I had to go back to an 89 FSM to find info to repair my girlfriend's  91 Loyale.......which DID have auto belts because they were required by law at that point.

Most Loyales were pretty sparse...espescially 90 base models  .they were trying to move people into the Legacy.

However all teh manuals had PS, and a hillholder.  A/C probably installed by the dealer as most all but the GL-10's were.

Auto seatbelts were optional in 88,89....but then dropped in the 90 Loyale as confirmed by the 90 FSM....which has no listing for any auto seatbelt stuff.  I had to go back to an 89 FSM to find info to repair my girlfriend's  91 Loyale.......which DID have auto belts because they were required by law at that point.

Thanks for the info! Makes sense with trying to move people to the Legacy. I guess all things combined, you could say I have a "rare" Loyale. 1990 was the only year of the Loyale with manual seatbelts, and I have yet to see a Loyale with as few options as mine (in the U.S.). All the '90 Loyales I see have power windows and power mirrors.

I wasn't alive in '89/'90, so this is just speculation. But with the introduction of the Legacy, Loyale sales went down. So in order to keep selling the EA82s, Subaru added more power options to better fit what people wanted. Because today, if you try and sell a car (that's not an antique/classic) on Craigslist with manual windows/locks/mirrors, you will not get as much interest in the car (and ergo not as much money for it) as if you had all the power options. 

I wasn't alive in '89/'90, so this is just speculation. But with the introduction of the Legacy, Loyale sales went down. So in order to keep selling the EA82s, Subaru added more power options to better fit what people wanted.

Wow....I feel old.

As for power options?  I think they were just using up parts they had in stock....like I said, they really didn't care about selling many loyales.......espescially by 93 with the Impreza introduction.

Wow....I feel old.

As for power options?  I think they were just using up parts they had in stock....like I said, they really didn't care about selling many loyales.......espescially by 93 with the Impreza introduction.

That makes sense to me. I got my Loyale new in 94 (it was a 93 model year) for $11K. I think it was because they weren't going to ever make them again. Camp subaru in Spokane got a shipment of these cars in and they sold like hotcakes.