Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale pulls to the right when accelerating or braking

This is really odd, we have taken the car in for an alighnment 3 times and are still having this issue. I even told the shop that its happening & they say they fixed it but its still happening. Its not fun to drive it in this condition

Its a 91 loyale EA82 4WD

Got any ideas? I'm reading an older post about someones car pulling left then right, but this car is just pulling to the right

Inspect the radius rod bushings. This is the part that has the rod form the control arm where it fits the bracket on the body behind the wheel. There is a nut to adjust there for alignment. see if the nut is loose or if the bushing is falling apart.

My 84 gl did the same thing when I first bought it. A good test is to jack up the front of the car so the tires are off the ground. Then try to shake each wheel in different directions vigorously. In my case both lower ball joints were shot. Good luck.

If they did an alignmement they should have also checked all the ball joints too.

If it's still a problem then clearly they didn't fix it.  Take a test drive with them and just let them explain how it is fixed since the problem is still there.

If they did an alignmement they should have also checked all the ball joints too.

They should... but could've over looked them - I've had this done before with a wheel alignment, was not happy!  It's an hour round trip to the joint I went to that time.

Also check your tie rod ends ;)

Cheers

Bennie

• 1 month later...

I've finally had time to attend to this. I dont notice any loose ball joints. I just replaced the bushings on the sway bar & the "radius rod" (which the auto parts shops are calling the "strut rod bushing") I'm still having the same problem. So i started shaking the tie rods harder because i thought they were ok, but it seems the driver side tie rod has some play in it. It takes a lot of pressure to feel the play, but im sure its there.

if there is a tiny amount of play in the tie rod end, do I need to replace that?

I'd also have someone (similar in weight to you) sit in the car and you watch the strut mounts/struts while they sit down. 99% of alignment places won't load-up the driver's position during an alignment. While this is not the standard SOP while aligning a car, it can expose weaknesses in what isn't holding an alignment. If you've got weak bushings, mounts or springs, throwing an extra 150-250 lbs on one side CAN throw off the camber or toe-in if things are shifting.

• 3 weeks later...

I just took it to an alignment shop & the mechanic refused to do an alignment due to the camber of one wheel being majorly off. I think he found my problem! Now I just need to deduct which part is broken.

Thank all of you for your input, its getting this moving forward

• 2 weeks later...

Have the struts been replaced recently or before? I too had a bad camber problem when I first bought my EA82 sedan and come to find out, they had replaced the struts up front. Luckily, there was a Monroe part number on them which revealed 4WD struts. My car was 2WD. It gave it about 2 deg positive on the camber...