Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loyale pulls to the right when accelerating or braking

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Thorston

Thorston

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:03 PM

This is really odd, we have taken the car in for an alighnment 3 times and are still having this issue. I even told the shop that its happening & they say they fixed it but its still happening. Its not fun to drive it in this condition

Its a 91 loyale EA82 4WD

Got any ideas? I'm reading an older post about someones car pulling left then right, but this car is just pulling to the right

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,613 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:10 PM

Inspect the radius rod bushings. This is the part that has the rod form the control arm where it fits the bracket on the body behind the wheel. There is a nut to adjust there for alignment. see if the nut is loose or if the bushing is falling apart.

#3 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  • KY

Posted 21 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

My Legacy starting pulling to the left. Turned out to be failing wheel bearing. 

#4 kirzick

kirzick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • olympia washington

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

My 84 gl did the same thing when I first bought it. A good test is to jack up the front of the car so the tires are off the ground. Then try to shake each wheel in different directions vigorously. In my case both lower ball joints were shot. Good luck.

#5 Dee2

Dee2

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • US

Posted 23 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

If they did an alignmement they should have also checked all the ball joints too.

If it's still a problem then clearly they didn't fix it.  Take a test drive with them and just let them explain how it is fixed since the problem is still there.

#6 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:57 AM

If they did an alignmement they should have also checked all the ball joints too.

They should... but could've over looked them - I've had this done before with a wheel alignment, was not happy!  It's an hour round trip to the joint I went to that time.

Also check your tie rod ends ;)

Cheers

Bennie

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,523 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

If not balljoints/tierods/wheel beraings, then go to the radius rod bushings.

#8 Thorston

Thorston

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:15 AM

I've finally had time to attend to this. I dont notice any loose ball joints. I just replaced the bushings on the sway bar & the "radius rod" (which the auto parts shops are calling the "strut rod bushing") I'm still having the same problem. So i started shaking the tie rods harder because i thought they were ok, but it seems the driver side tie rod has some play in it. It takes a lot of pressure to feel the play, but im sure its there.

if there is a tiny amount of play in the tie rod end, do I need to replace that?

#9 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,613 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:47 AM

Which end? the inside end is a ball and socket, which can become loose if the seal was compromised and water got in/grease got out. IF there is play, consider replacing the inner ends.

#10 Thorston

Thorston

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 15 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

do I have to replace both? it is the inner end. only the driver side is loose

#11 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,613 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 December 2013 - 03:02 PM

You may as well so you know that the whole front end is nice and tight and new. consider changing the boots as failed boots lead to failed parts. 

#12 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 15 December 2013 - 08:27 PM

So did you get it fixed?..........

#13 Thorston

Thorston

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:26 PM

no not yet. its still a troublesome car. The %$#^ who sold us this car is probably going to hell

#14 Rust

Rust

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 804 posts
  • The Sticks

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

I would rotate the tires first to rule out any bent rim/tire issues first,  then go to messing with the front end stuff.

#15 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'd also have someone (similar in weight to you) sit in the car and you watch the strut mounts/struts while they sit down. 99% of alignment places won't load-up the driver's position during an alignment. While this is not the standard SOP while aligning a car, it can expose weaknesses in what isn't holding an alignment. If you've got weak bushings, mounts or springs, throwing an extra 150-250 lbs on one side CAN throw off the camber or toe-in if things are shifting.

#16 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

I know this is probable already thrown on the table but pull the hubs and check the splines.

#17 Thorston

Thorston

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 06 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

I just took it to an alignment shop & the mechanic refused to do an alignment due to the camber of one wheel being majorly off. I think he found my problem! Now I just need to deduct which part is broken.

Thank all of you for your input, its getting this moving forward

#18 Thorston

Thorston

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

I am looking for what is making the camber problem but i dont see any damage that is easy to identify. The ball joint might be tweaked.? it looks like it might be bent inwards. is that possible?

#19 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Have the struts been replaced recently or before? I too had a bad camber problem when I first bought my EA82 sedan and come to find out, they had replaced the struts up front. Luckily, there was a Monroe part number on them which revealed 4WD struts. My car was 2WD. It gave it about 2 deg positive on the camber...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users