Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Historic Insurance

The Justy has turned 25 so it is can now have historic insurance. I just tried Haggerty for giggles and they come in at 270 @ 5000 stated value and 5000 miles a year use. Considering thats what I pay for it now for 6 months for regular no thrills bare bones insurance, i will be doing this when my renewal comes up. 

Anyone else have historic insurance on their sooby and who do they use.

Thanks.

Any truth that they insist on it being garaged? My friend has had his little Lotus on classic Insurance for years and pays so little it'll make you cry. But he says (that they say) it HAS to be garaged. Of course , I've never seen insurance people physically check to see that the cars are garaged.

I believe he has Hagerty too.

IIRC, Haggerty has restrictions on mileage, where and when you can drive, Grundy is more flexible. Most say you need to be locked in a garage, but they're not coming over to see. Odometers are hard to verify in classics, too. Very cheap great coverage, never had to claim, but they have a great reputation. Agreed value is what you say it is, and is the basis of your rate. The theory is that classic owners are more careful drivers -they may not buy that for subaru owners! 

Haggarty has a no garage option. Grundy says it must be garaged. Haggarty i put in 5000 miles a year, they seemed liberal on where you could drive (i ticked off everything but commuting to work). Grundy limited you to 2500 miles a year  in the fine print. Keeping in mind this was 2 am so i may have read it wrong. Haggarty had a minimum value of 5000.00 (easy enough to do with a truly mint Justy as I have seen them go for low 4's here). Haggarty was 270 a year, Grundy was 83.00 and required you to be near your car at all times. Right now I pay 293 every 6 months for basic insurance. I will be researching it more, but I am switching as I only do about 3-4000 miles a year in the Justy. 

Haggerty wanted pics of my garage and all other types of B.S.  Went to Rally Insurance.  Very hassle free, no complaints.  I keep my Daily use EA82 cars on regular inurance.  I would not recommend collector car insurance on any vehicle that see's regular use.

In winter the Justy doesnt move out of the driveway, same for the heat of the summer. The justy saw less then 3000 miles last year, hence why I am looking.

My 2005 Outback is my daily driver.

Edited by nipper

Can't remember my milage limmit per year, but I think it is under 2000.  It is dirt cheap insurance, but it is designed for guys who only take cars to car shows a few times per year.   I basically use it to maintain insurance so my registrations don't get cancelled.