Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Plugs and Hoses. What's This? Where's that go? Subaru GL 87

hoseselectrical plugs vacuum lines carburetor gl 87 ea82 plugs ea82 hoses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 neelie

neelie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • slc, ut

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:09 PM

Hi Hoping for some help from knowledgable eyes. I have a Subaru GL 87 1.8 Carb.
**I recently replaced the overcharging alternator (bad regulator). After timing belt procedure it decided to quit.
Overview of this engine-
GLCARBOVERVIEwW_zps5f10a172.jpg

1. Here is the biggest problem, rear of motor and of alternator area: This hose (below) is broken the engine shakes a little more after, and when i cover the hole it calms down. I found the possible piece ( top) Not sure where else it was connected to?
HOSEPLUGGEDHELPS_zpsaf931207.jpg

2. I also found this guy hanging around, looks like it should be bolted down, but what is this?
ODDPIECENOTCONNECTED_zps29ae4b06.jpg

3. Plugs behind Alternator not connected, what are they for?

ALTERNATORPLUGS_zpsdcea7170.jpg

4. disconnected plug Under Hood Driver Side Top, Where does it plug? what is it? the black broken tube (arrow) a problem?

DRIVERPLUGS_zps9900ec79.jpg

5. On Passender Side Top disconnected and unknown plugs, what are these?

PASSPLUGS_zps42b51201.jpg

Thanks for any help

#2 jj421

jj421

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • Carnation, WA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

3. I'm pretty sure those are plugs for the A/C compressor. Looks like you don't have A/C, so that's why. I deleted my A/C, and I have those two plugs. Can't recall if they were plugged into the compressor or not though.

4. That plug looks like one of the CEL checking plugs. You plug it in when you wanna check the check engine light.

#3 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 6,038 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

Cars usually only have a couple wiring harness made for them, regardless of the combination of options it actually had. So extra plugs aren't a bad thing. They could be for A/C, cruise control, and a host of other things.

Yep, that larger black connector by the strut tower is the diagnostic connector. It can be used to test a number of systems, but under normal circumstances, unplugged is fine.

Looks like that hose by the washer pump is just a drain.

Hopefully someone else can help you with those vacuum lines. Carbed EA82s are a nightmare in that department......

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,816 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

1 and 2 are parts of the Evap system.

1 shows the open port.......2 is the solenoid that should be connected there.....And should be bolted down to the open bolt hole in #1.

3, 4, 5 are unused connectors for A/C and a test connector.

#5 neelie

neelie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • slc, ut

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Thanks, glad to have some idea on it all.

1 and 2 are parts of the Evap system.

1 shows the open port.......2 is the solenoid that should be connected there.....And should be bolted down to the open bolt hole in #1.

3, 4, 5 are unused connectors for A/C and a test connector.

since 1 definitely promotes a better running engine when it is plugged, I'd like to connect or plug it, to be sure: #2 attaches via hole by #1, and then connects to 1? or 1 port remains open? There is nothing unhooked from 2 to be able to connect these together.

#6 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,816 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

The solenoid should have 2 ports on it.  3 really....but the 3rd is open to atmosphere(the little capped end)

Look in the bent tube in the #1 picture.....I'll bet you find the broken piece of the second port.

That solenoid should connect the port on the intake to the Bowl vent valve  (UFO lookin thing in the pictures) and the T goes from there into a hardline that connects to the ACVV (UFO thingy on other side of intake not pictured).....

You can bypass the solenoid.....it will just vent the bowl and run the air bleeds at full open all the time....might affect warm up idle/throttle but not much.

Or you take the middle line off the "T" and connect that line to the open vac port.  Install the check valve between so that it can be sucked through by the intake....Leave the bowl vent valve hose open.

It's a simple solenoid.....and can be replaced with one from any number of newer imports......just gotta take a wonder around the pick n pull yards look for one with 3 ports one to atmosphere.

#7 tweety

tweety

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Euroa Victoria Australia

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:08 AM

in 1.  the small hose is off the manifold I think. hence you cover it you stop vacuum leak. Think you connect that hose to it and it goes under the carbie base.

#8 panxoxesco

panxoxesco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LOS ANDES, VALPARAISO

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:54 PM

PLEASE I NEED NUMBER OF PART THIS....PLEASE

VACCUM VALVE....SUBARU 1.8 DL 4WD (1989 LOYALE)

THANKS

Edited by panxoxesco, 22 October 2014 - 01:56 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hoseselectrical plugs, vacuum lines, carburetor, gl, 87, ea82 plugs, ea82 hoses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users